1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

60's bassists

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mean Mr Mustard, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    I was wondering, did most Bass players in the 60's use flatwound strings?

2. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Yes. I don't believe roundwounds were even invented until sometime in the late sixties and even then they weren't widely used.

3. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    Cool I want to get the 60's sound (Yardbirds bassist and McCartney my favs) out of my Rogue Violin Bass.

4. Yes, they used those a lot in the '60s... I love the fat warm sound of 1960's as well. =D

5. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I'm not sure, but I believe McCartney uses flat wounds to this very day. It was a very important part of his sound with the Beatles.

6. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    I like Semi Hollow Basses the Yardbirds bassist used a semi hollow epiphone and McCartney as you probably. I picked up a beginner bass book at Barnes and Noble and in it the guy says dont buy a semi-hollow bass because its outdated, lol. I am going to get some la bella flats as soon as I get the money.

7. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    All the power to you Mr. Mustard, i love when people have the talent and guts to do what they please and not what others tell them. I bet you get a great sound.