Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60's bassists

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mean Mr Mustard, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    I was wondering, did most Bass players in the 60's use flatwound strings?

2. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Yes. I don't believe roundwounds were even invented until sometime in the late sixties and even then they weren't widely used.

3. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    Cool I want to get the 60's sound (Yardbirds bassist and McCartney my favs) out of my Rogue Violin Bass.

4. Yes, they used those a lot in the '60s... I love the fat warm sound of 1960's as well. =D

5. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I'm not sure, but I believe McCartney uses flat wounds to this very day. It was a very important part of his sound with the Beatles.

6. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    I like Semi Hollow Basses the Yardbirds bassist used a semi hollow epiphone and McCartney as you probably. I picked up a beginner bass book at Barnes and Noble and in it the guy says dont buy a semi-hollow bass because its outdated, lol. I am going to get some La Bella flats as soon as I get the money.

7. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    All the power to you Mr. Mustard, i love when people have the talent and guts to do what they please and not what others tell them. I bet you get a great sound.