1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

60's Classic Vibe / Who played Them in 62?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Got_Bass, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Got_Bass

Got_Bass

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    I just bought the classic vibe p-bass from Squier...really well built and fun bass. Anyway..this style (color) bass came out in 1962, does anyone know of any bass players/ 60's groups who used them way back when? or have pic's of bass players using this color bass.
    Thanks,

Edit: I found this website for Fender colors...although it dosen't include the sonic blue color?

http://www.fender.com/resources/colors/full.html

Attached Files:

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Im not sure what you mean. This bass wasnt around in the 60's, you know? This is Squier's rendition, a RI.

3. 60's P-Basses were played on thousands of recordings by as many artists. One of the most Famous would James Jamerson's Funk Machine.

I owned a really nice 66 P-Bass at one point - now I have a MIM and P-Basses sound like P-Basses with variations bassed on Pickups and String choice - but they still are a classic Bass sound. Mine is stock with Labella Flats and it will take your there for sure.

The Bass you just bought has gotten good reviews - my advice is to worry less about it and just play it and enjoy it. You'll make it sound better and better with practice.

4. lol, "Classic Vibe" means that it's designed to look/feel like a 60's P bass. You're talking as if "Classic Vibe" is a model that's been around for years or something.

It's also probably impossible to give you a complete list of everyone who played a P bass in the 60's.

5. Got_Bass

Got_Bass

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    Yeah..I know the classic vibe wasn't around then..I guess it's the color in general I'm wondering about, It reminds me of the 60's when I was a kid that sonic blue, were there many basses of this color back in the day..or is this something Squier just came up with?

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Sonic Blue was a custom colour offered in the '60s by Fender. I'm not sure what year it was first offered, but I've seen them more commonly by the middle part of the decade.

It's one of my favorite colours, love it on a Jazz with matching H/S, too.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    As I recently learned, Lake Placid Blue was a rare color but considered uncool my many in the 60's. People got them in LPB, but refinished them almost immediately.

8. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    I played one of the originals back in the 60's.... belonged to a friend, garage band, Jr High kind of thing. Nice bass but the color wasn't too popular then. I think the Squier plays just as nice and does have a nice fit and finish. Although the Squier probablly has a polyurethane finish. BTW I certainly didn't take it that you said the Squier was around back then. What you said was style and color which was pretty self explanatory. I in fact showed my Classic Vibe 60's Jazz to a friend just last night who has a 60's or early 70's P Bass with the White finish the same color as mine. Well now his is yellow. I think the poly will be bright white years from now. And of course we don't have smoking in the clubs now days. And he thought my Squier played quite nice. And sounded great with my upgraded Seymour Duncan Hot for Jazz pups.