Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60's custom shop vs. Noiseless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AFWbass, Jul 17, 2005.

1. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    Hey guys. I'm replacing the pickups in my MIM standard jazz bass. I can't decide between the noiseless and the custom shop 60's pickups. Has anybody heard the difference between the two?

2. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    the Noiseless Pups are basically a standard Warm vintage type J without the fingernoise or fret buzzing. the Vintage Customshops are Bright, growly, and Amazing. Geddy Lee Uses them in his Jazz bass currently. They sound amazing. I would go with the Vintage C-shops.

---Rocinante_x1

3. You forgot one major component...The Vintage Noiseless have no hum or buzz from external noise.
    Well two, they have great clarity.

4. Just curious, but is there a reason why you are going with a Fender pickup? Not to say that Fender pickups aren't great, but there are many other pickups out there that are just as compatible and may suit your needs better. What are you looking for, tone wise?

5. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Very True.
    thanks

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Fender pups are great pups, especially the cs, noiseless and the scn made buy Bill Lawrence for Fender. I have the "noiseless" pups in my Victor Bailey jazz and it's a monster bass with a attitude!. I have also played a CS jazz bass and wish I had the money on hand, I would have bought it on the spot. I also Have a MIA jazz with fralins in it, I put these in as an experiment and they stayed in! This bass is my staple take anywhere jazz, I did the swap because I also have a Marcus Miller that's ash/maple combo and I wanted to warm up the low end on the MIA jazz. There are a lot of aftermarket pups out there for jazz basses, it's all about what you want. I like vintage sounding jazz basses and don't care for those so called pups that "cut through" the mix