Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60s' Fender Musicmaster?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Apr 12, 2004.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I ran across a 64' Fender musicmaster today. This old guy brought it into the shop I work in for a restring. After talking with him for a while, he mentioned that he wants to sell it, and buy a newer bass. It's in pretty rough shape cosmetically, but it plays/sounds great. He said he would trade me straight up for a yamaha rbx. (and I get a large discount from work)

So I'm thinking I'll end up with the musicmaster. It's got a great old-school funky tone, and I dig the lightweight body, and short scale. I play a thumb 6 most of the time. I swear it's 1/2 the weight of my warwick. Anyway, give me some info on the musicmaster. Who knows the deal on these basses? Anyone....Beuller?

*edit- BTW, the bass is 100% stock, original.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Get it if you like it and it is reasonable, with vintage prices increasing regularly you will probably get your money back if you ever try to sell it. The Yahama will just lose value.

3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I don't own the yamaha. I'm going to buy one from work, and trade it for the fender. From what I gather, these musicmaster basses aren't terribly valuable.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would rather have the Fender over the Yamaha, but you make your own decision.

Actually in a store around here they want 600 for a extremely bad refinished Mustang, another model supposedly not worth much. But it has a factory installed P bass pickup instead of the mini split pickup in most Mustangs, which I was told makes it really rare.

5. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Was I the old the guy who brought in the MusicMaster? :)
    As i detailed in another post, I had one returned to me after about 25 years. The guy we asked to play drums with us had had it, he borrowed it from someone else but knew it was mine all along.
    Anyway i brought it into New York Music in Huntington, L.I., and they did a great job on it (so much so i brought in another guitar and will soon do same with an old banjo). They also dated it to 1969.
    Like the original poster said of his, it shows a lot of wear and years. I wouldnt sell it as it was my first bass (and the story of it coming back is nice) but i was wondering what this vintage might bring.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    There is a '75 Musicmaster for sale here in Ottawa. It is in rough shape and they want $599 CDN. The picture is flattering, it looks rougher in real life. A '60s version would be worth even more.

7. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Lets see, $599 Canadian? That's maybe enough to get a set of strings in NYC!
    Just kidding! THanks for the reply.

8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I didn't end up with the bass afterall. The fellow who owns it decided not to part with it. I can't say that I blame him. Byrdsfan, no disrespect by "old". This guy was in his 80s. :p

9. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I'm getting there.