1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

60s Fender P: How much does refin effect value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt O, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Hey all, I found some threads on this subject but most were more than 5 years old and the vintage Fender market has changed a bit since then, so:

Is 50% reduction in value still a reasonable metric for a refin vs. original finish on a 60s pre-CBS or early CBS bass?

Reason I ask is I would like to make an offer on a '66 P refin that's local to me but don't know where to start due to vintage Fender prices being all over the place lately, mostly way down and the market seems very soft.

My research has good condition original finish 3tsb '66s clocking in at around $4500-5k, maybe even less.

This bass was originally 3tsb, now oly white. The refin is decent but not great. All parts appear to be original. No case. Dude is looking for $3500 obo. Seems super steep to me.

Is an offer around $2k-$2500 reasonable or a kick in the giblets?

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes
    Yes. A refin '66 should be about $2K with no OHC. I'd still want at least a photo appraisal from George Ghrun in Nashville as to the originality of all parts. If the owner should kick, RUN!
    Appraisals

Matt O likes this.
  3. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Thanks Linnin. I agree getting it checked out fully by Ghrun is the way to go. $50 bucks well spent. Thanks for the reply brother man.

Linnin likes this.