1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

60's Fender Road-Worn Jazz- WOW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapmachine, Jan 10, 2012.

1. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Alright guys, I'm going to say it this is a QUALITY Mexican made Fender bass. The tonal range is great in combination with the amazingly comfortable body from the "relic-ing" process where Fender beats the s#!t out of the bass and sands it in various ways. They even went so far to oxidize the pole parts of the magnets that are showing, I was surprised. It's a very quiet bass too which means, at least for me, that they did something right with the electronics which also made me nearly fall off the stool I was playing on because of my past experience with MIM Fenders.

(Break in the paragraph for your eyes :cool: )

Also, this bass was able to deliver an amazing growl that I've never heard from a Fender that I've ever played. Very straight neck on the individual one I played with even the frets and back of the neck worn down which made it really comfortable, and even though it was slightly artificial mojo, it had mojo to it.

For the purposes of this test, I was playing through a Markbass Little Mark Tube 800 head ran into the New Randy Jackson signature 115 cab (which by the way, was a nice little cabinet).

Anyway, the specific bass I played, had a different feel than modern Fenders and Fender definitely accomplished semi-affordability (at least semi-affordable to me) and a solid bass that is MIM which I give them mad props. I like this so much because it shows how Fender has upped their quality control even from their lower-level factories and establishments in response to how newer more boutique brands are stealing some business.

Definitely consider the bass even if you're against MIM Fenders, I'm glad I did.

Best regards,

Brooks :bassist:

2. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I would love to have a sunburst RW jazz, though I do prefer a P neck. If I ever get one Ill probably just leave it stock.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'd like to try one, but i did get to play their CS version. the 64 Relic Jazz!!!

the thing seemed to play itself. i couldn't believe an instrument could produce so much Swagg with so little effort.

4. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Paco!!!! You spying on me man? I said the same thing to the guy at the music shop. I was playing the bass EFFORTLESSLY, a beautiful feeling to make the bass an extension of you rather than just an instrument. I think it had killer tone and for the price, compared to the CS '64 relic, I would have to say that you're probably getting your money's worth. I can't say that I've had the opportunity to play the CS version or any Fender CS though = / LUCKY! Got some TASTY growl out of her too, I actually 100% drooled on the bass, if it weren't for the lack of people in the room and the already beat-to-hell finish, I'd probably be banned from the shop LOL.

Best regards,

Brooks

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +1 :bassist:

Seems to me that we're getting to the point that it's going to be "no video, no bass". :eek:

7. slamzilla

slamzilla Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    DFW
    I picked up one a couple of weeks ago. It is a fantastic bass. Say what you will about relicing, its the playability that sells it.

8. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    The thing that keeps me from it and other "vintage" type Fenders is the need to remove the neck for truss rod adjustment. This is just plain dumb and needs to be upgraded like the AMSTD, AMSP and Highway ONEs..

9. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Agree 100% brother. I almost forgot I was playing a bass for a second. It was just butter man, just butter.

Best regards,

Brooks :bassist:

10. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Wrong. I've never had to remove a Fender vintage or vintage style neck to adjust the truss rod (except for a Warmoth neck with extended FB. That sucker now never needs to be touched anymore). Get the correct size screwdriver... a flat blade that's about 1/2 the diameter of the adjusting nut ( duh... that would be equal to the radius) at it's widest part. It'll sneak in the slot. You should not be needing to turn the nut much more than a quarter turn. If you do, move the screwdriver to the next slot.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Thanks for saving me from having to type all of this for the 5th time! :p

12. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Funny, I had a different experience. Bought a RW recently, and was happy with it (honeymoon and all that). It had some setup issues I couldn't/was too lazy to fix myself: The saddle for the G string had to be set so far up the bass to have in intonated correctly, the screw that holds it to the bridge was actually too short. Also the neck had to be adjusted, which is a pain with these oldschool basses, because the trussrod can only be accessed by removing the neck.

So I brought it to my local musicstore last week to correct these issues, and have been playing my old Ibanez ATK since, which surprised me in how much better it felt to the touch. I somehow forgot or never appreciated how great that bass felt to play.

This probably is a setup issue, but I might just sell my RW if I get it back and the ATK still feels better.

EDIT: Ah, I've never heard of that trick with the screwdriver before. Should make adjusting the trussrod a lot easier. Thanks for the tip!

13. lasteffect

lasteffect

Jan 10, 2012
    South Carolina
    I will admit, I'm not a huge fan of Fender basses, but there are a few I found myself smiling after playing them.

The RW Jazz was one of them. Fast neck and the sound was killer. Just needs one thing Badass II Bridge. :D

14. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    Same here. I've always preferred a P, but I played a 64 CS Relic at Bass Emporium a while back and was blown away. I got the same warm and fuzzy from the RW!

15. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    As much as I loved the sound of the bass, the badass II would definitely be an upgrade, on a vintaged-out bass like that though I'd feel like I was cheating haha. :bag:

Best regards,

Brooks

16. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Yea, well listen here. Your way of adjusting the neck will guarantee that things get "chewed up". And that's why so many older Fenders look like someone took a can opener to the truss rod.

So, spare ME the time of having to repeat myself.

17. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Not with the right tool.

18. The neck is made to be adjusted by removing the neck. There really is no "right" tool. The right tool is to take your time and remove the neck. The previous poster is correct, while I am sure some of you can do it without chewing up anything, it will generally cause some damage to the body and pickguard. It's called cutting corners.

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Uhh, no, it's called finding the right tool.

I have a right angled slot head screwdriver that works without damaging anything. There is really no arguing with that.

20. Not played the J, but as a RW P owner, great choice!

I bought mine after looking at various Fender P's - MIM, but who gives a damn?

I'm more interested in how a bass plays and sounds than where it's made!

I narrowed it down to a black/maple Am. Std. or the 2-tone SB RW....and TBH, it was hands-down to the RW.