Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60s jazz and standard jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 23, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I was browsing on the harmony central reviews(as you do :p)

and i came across the 60s reissue (MIM), I was wondering how it was differant to the standard MIM jazz. Ive tried to search but couldent find anything

anyone care to enlighten me?

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    There is a whole world of difference (besides being more expensive). The Classic 60's Jazz is most likely the best bass that comes out of Mexico.

Now the Standard Jazz for the most part is just a modern Jazz. It has a modern C shape neck and tuners.

The 60's is built like a Jazz from the 60's. First off the body does not have the "swimming pool" routes under the pickguard. So you can remove the pickguard if you like that Jaco look. Also the pickups are way better then those used in the Standard. They are the same pickups used in the Highway 1 Jazz. Great vi

The is a bit thicker like a real 60's Jazz. It also has the the vintage style reverse tuners and the neck is tinted to give it a vintage look. The headstock also has the 60's era Fender labels.

The bridge is also a vintage type on the Classic compared to the standard Fender bridge found on the Standard.

The Standard are great basses for the money, but the Classic is a few steps up. I would even dare say that mine is on par with many US Fenders. If you don't want to shell out over $1K for a reissue Jazz, this is the way to go for sure!!

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    how does it compare to the highway 1 jazz? looks like over here the 60s jazz is 515 and the highway 1 is 499

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    If you want Vintage looks and feel, go with the Classic 60's. If you want more of a modern look and feel, the Highway 1.

Sound wise they should pretty much the same since they the same pickups.

Personally I think the Classic is built a bit better then the Highway 1.