1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'60s Jazz Bass vs highway one (jazz)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonatan863, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jonatan863

jonatan863

Mar 8, 2008
  2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have had both, actually a couple of each ... I prefer the earlier version of the Hwy 1 to the upgraded Hwy ONE., as it was a better value ... FWIW, I have sold all my Hwy's and currently use a MIM Classic Series 60's Jazz as my main bass ... I even sold my '01 American Series, and my '96 MIA Standard series in favor of the 60's Classic ... very nice bass and a great bang for the buck used ... JMHO

3. I have a 06' Hwy 1 with the greasebucket, badass II and graphite reinforced neck. Love this bass....one of the best values out there. It will be a "lifer" for me. I traded a PowerBass in because the store's tech went to adjust the trussrod...and it broke! The store gave me the H1 to replace it - and I trust it more as it has a better adjustment system....

The h1 seems to have a more slim neck - and I love the nitro finish....it is aging nicely - and I did it!

Just my 2 cents....get the one that feels and sounds best to you! One of them should just "sit in your hands".

AW

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I also have a 2006 Highway One and it is a great bass. Worth every penny and then some. At this point in time I can't believe I'd ever sell it.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have a '60s classic and a friend has a Hwy-1 (original version). I've played both of them back to back.

I like them both. My '60s classic is modified with Lindy Frailin split-coil pickups and a BA II bridge. Surprisingly, I do like the Hwy-1 a tiny bit more.

Moral of the story (IMHO): single-coils are good, though noisy, and individual basses vary a fair amount.

All that said, I have no desire to sell my '60s classic. Great Bass.

6. jonatan863

jonatan863

Mar 8, 2008
    thanks to all

7. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Jim, what was it that you liked a bit more? Was it just those individual examples (his against yours) or the Hwy1 vs. 60's Classic as a whole.
    Not to stray too far from topic but just quickly ..how do you like the Fralin Jazz pickups. Were you happy you chose that brand as the replacement. I played them in a Lakland JO Skyline and found it hard to leave he store. They were so fun to play. But my experience with others to compare them to is limited.

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm not trying to answer for Jim, but I'll say the Highway One Jazz neck has the best profile I've seen on a new Fender Jazz in a long time. Very similar (IMO) to the Lakland USA JO I used to own.

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The Hwy-1 and '60s classic Jazzes both come stock with the same pickups. When I compared my '60s to the Hwy-1, the '60s had already been modified (Lindy Fralins spit-coils & BAII). The Hwy-1 was the original version.

There was a small difference in tone. That particular Hwy-1 with the stock pickups seemed to have a bit more bottom than my '60s classic. Mind you the difference was small.

The Hwy-1 hummed in the expected manner of single-coils. Because the '60s classic had split-coils, it didn't sound (or hum) the same as the single-coils---I'll let others theorize about how phase-cancelation affects frequency response in bass pickups. :p

My Lindy Fralins are split-coils. They have a larger pallet of useable tones for me than single-coils, though the single coils actually have a little more high and low output. The split-coils look like the stock pickups, but under the cover, each pick-up is actually 2 4-pole pickups:

[OO OO] [OO OO] instead of [ OO OO OO OO ]

The result is noticeably less hum when the V pots are not aligned. I got split-coils because I needed to make a broadcast sound engineer happy (he wasn't). I also thought the stock pickups were pale sounding, having mostly played only P-basses and upright for several years before. I now realize that the stock "Vintage Jazz" Fender pickups have their charms, too. :D

To the OP---Further comments on the '60s classic: I had a '69 in 1969. The '60s classic is better than my '69 was. The neck is much more stable. It's been a long time since I sold the '69 in '76, but as far as I can tell, the stock tone is identical. The neck profile and finish of the '60s classic is essentially identical to the '69.

Plenty of bridge pickup growl is available from either the Hwy-1 or the '60s classic. It's just a matter of taste and what you need. Play them and pick one. :bassist:

10. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Another thought, those JO Skylines are terrific in every way. Do not post pictures, please....:D :D :D