1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

60s Kay bass... Can't get the neck off!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 5string5fingers, Oct 28, 2009.

1. There are many good luthiers out there - shipping to/from anywhere in on the east cost will be about the same so you could take your pick. If you need suggestions, I'm lucky to live near a local luthier group who have a lot of experience with Kay's and mid-century guitars in general (www.luthiers-coop.com). Definitely worth calling when you're looking for somebody to do the work. Very nice folks.

2. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Thanks for the flashback. :p

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Sure...but I misquoted it. Oh well, close enough.

4. Scan of page from '65 Kay Catalogue with your bass... $139.50 !

[​IMG]

5. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    See? You don't just have a Kay, you have "their finest model"!:D

That "Heavy Duty Bass Amplifier" looks suspiciously like a box fan... proboably sounds like one too...

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Nice ad. They call it their "Deluxe Solid Body Bass", maybe for marketing.

It looks like the K5920 (now called "Pro") changed to make it more like older K5965 Pro. It used to have an f-hole.

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I like the "long scale" at 30 7/8 inches. Makes you wonder what the short scale one is like.

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The one on the right is what I believe was called the "Value Bass" or something like that, and is close to a guitar scale. I've seen a couple on ebay recently.

The one in the middle (K5965) was the Pro before the K5920 (shown in the big ad above). I guess the K5965 was discontinued '64 at the latest, don't know.

The one on the left must have been Big Daddy Kay. It's almost like The Three Bears.

Edit: Here's the ebay listing for the short scale.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Kay-Bas...QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item1c0da845f3

9. HankD

HankD

Sep 26, 2010
    Is this the correct ID?

Retail value?

Attached Files:

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Glad you're leaving the neck alone. You have NOTHING to gain from removing it, and you stand a substantial chance of snapping the screw off and causing damage to the body by the resulting need to remove the broken screw.

If it plays well, there is no need to remove the neck - even for refretting. And I suggest that before you assume it needs a refret, you have a luthier examine it and tell you if the frets can be successfully dressed.

11. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    Near as I can remember, my first bass was that "Pro" model (K5920) except it would have come from Sears or Spiegel, and I thought I remembered it being an "F hole". I think it was a bit cheaper than the marked $100. It would have been about 1965 or so and I would have been 14. Wish I could find a picture of it.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020