Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60's Lafayette Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Aug 14, 2005.

1. My dad and I dug out this old 60's Lafayette 210 combo tube amp from the basement to see if it still worked, and after replacing the preamp tubes, it works fine after all these years. I am pretty sure that it is a guitar amp(due to the open back) but I put the 68 telecaster bass my dad bought around the same time as the amp in it and it sounded pretty nice to me, maybe a bit thin.

I have no clue how to date this, or even see what model it is. Here is some information I took down off of it though:
    2 channels(bright and normal) with 2 inputs for each channel. Each channel has a volume and tone knob, and then there is a speed and intensity knob for tremolo. 3 way power switch for on/off/stand by
    1 6CAF Rectifier tube
    2 6973 power tubes
    3 12AX7 preamp tubes
    There is an open back, and it has 2 Jensen special design speakers going vertical. All of this is original from when my dad bought it in the 60's

If anyone can enlighten me or direct me to a better place, much appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong place to post this too. :bag:

2. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Umm, the 6973s are the power tubes.

Anyway, Lafayette was one of a number of low-budget electronics companies in the 60s. They made PA amps, stereo amps, etc.. Kind of Radio-Shack/Burstein-Applebee/HeathKit vibe. Doesn't mean it's bad, just ... low budget. Nice find.

3. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    Yes thats true. Mostly, Just like RS, the would just put their name on others products. I think some of the guitar stuff was made by Univox.

A pic would be really helpfull.

4. Took some pics, unfortunately my digital camera was on it's last limbs battery wise so excuse my poor photography.

5. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    WEll to ME it does look like a mid 60's UniVox. Can't find the exact model but heres a place to look around for info. Good Luck.

Picture
    Home Page

6. Thanks for the help jazzblade, I am going to go on the Univox forum, and email Univox asking for some info.

7. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    :hyper: :D Let me know what the final info is.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Most Lafayette Radio amps were built by Univox. That one certainly was, it has typical Univox cosmetics (see the U-255R pic in the 1968 catalog at that web site). That "Echo-Verb" is also a Univox made unit.

If the amp has tremelo it's for guitar, not bass.

Open back bass combos were still common up until around 1970 (Fender even made some in the 80s) but won't have a fat low end.