60's or 70's PU Spacing for a fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Jul 7, 2008.

1. 60's Pickup Spacing

28 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. 70's Pickup Spacing

38 vote(s)
    57.6%
  1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Hey all.....I recently ordered a NYC Sadowsky fretless. As of right now I am getting it with the 70's PU spacing...thinking it will give me more punch. But what do you all think? Think the fretless would sound better with the 60's or 70's spacing??

2. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    I don't think the sound is that much different, but do whatever you want I suppose.

If you believe it will give you more punch, go with the 70's spacing. It's a Sadowasky, it would sound great even if it had one pickup at the base of the fingerboard and one just before the bridge. Congrats on affording a great bass!

3. depends. do you solo the bridge pickup or play with them dimed? as a bridge pickup fretless player, id stick with 60's spacing

4. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    considering everything i think either way it sounds great!!!

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    +1:)

I've never noticed that much of a difference in sound, but I like anchor my thumb on the smaller spacing of the 60s

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Wow, thought there would be more feed back on this subject :confused:

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    no option for carrots?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021