Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60's re-issue jazz bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ahhhson, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    Theres a 1960's Fender Jazz re-issue at my local music store. Its sunburst, beautiful -shape. I defintely wanna pick it up, im assuming its American made....

But why is it only 649?

Can anyone fill me in on one of these....

2. If it is a "60's reissue" rather than a "62 reissue" it is probably not American made.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Probably not American for that price... What's the first letter in the serial number, if it's a V then it's an American reissue...

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    There is a 60's MIM jazz bass in sunburst. I played one this weekend and I was very impressed. that price 649.00 is about right.

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i was at guitar center on Sunday and seen (what seemed to be from a distance)a 62 re-iisue jazz bass,all perty,aged neck finish and all other little tricks,and what do you know, MADE IN MEIXICO !:eek: i did'nt even have to see stamped on the headstock,the frett-work was a dead give-away.as soon as i got it into my chubby little mits i noticed all the little traits that are associated with the mexican fenders.and it was 649.00$ on the dot.:mad: they tried to pull a fast one ,but my trained eye spotted the imposter immediately.BUYER BEWARE :spit:

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It's probably a "Classic" Series 60's Jazz Bass. They are "Made in Mexico". I own one of these basses, and I think they're great! Every one I've ever seen/played seemed much better than the "Standard" MIM basses.

Here's a link:

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0131800

7. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    I was gonna go up immiediately after work. Now i think ill just wait until the workk on my musicman is finished to check it out. Thanks everyone.

THe headstock didnt say made in Mexico...trying to pull a fast one on me?

8. No one is trying to pull a fast one, that is just another model that Fender makes. It isn't a reissue either, it is just called a 60's Jazz. Made in Mexico. The one that I played was pretty nice, and I liked the aged finish on the neck. Just another bass!

jtbp

9. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    easy big fella,the reason i said that was because it did'nt have the usual made in mexico on the front of the h/stock,it was behind it.no need to get ruffled :D

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree. I've compared them to USA 62 RI & I liked the feel & sound better on the MIM hands down.