Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60's Series mexican custom re-issue !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, Jan 7, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    last month I bought myself a G.LEE J-Bass,after some luck-less attemt's to set it up properly I was forced to return it due to some heavy neck issue's.:bawl:
    But much to my dis-may the only Jazz bass they had at the store(G.C.)was a Mexican 60's jazz bass re-issue model:eek: .
    i am no fan of Mexican basses but I took a chance and tryed it out,and much to my complete suprise it was an excellent bass for the money(899.00)$$
    I compared it to the American stack knob J-Bass and from aside from a couple of minute details it's an equally well made as the american.
    and nits 600.00$ less.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Dem, I tell people all the time that the 60's classic jazz is a sleeper. One heck of a bass.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I recently bought a black MIM classic 60s. I returned it one week after, since i discovered the truss rod was tweaked as much as possible and the neck still had way to much relief. I'm waiting to recive a replacment. No hassle from the store what so ever. I guess Fender Scandinavia replaces the bass for them.

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    My wife got me a '60s jazz bass for Christmas. It is the burgundy mist metalic which I believe was a short production run. At first I thought it must be American made because it had such a quality feeling to it. One of the coolist things is that the headstock matches the body color. I also noticed that the truss rod seemed to be tightened too the limit. I shimmed the neck to get the action where I wanted it. There was no way I was returning this bass, it just sounds and plays too good.

6. bustabass

bustabass

Jan 12, 2004
    hey, just joined the forum. I was searching for reviews on the 60's classic jazz bass, because I just bought one.

I am taking a chance though, I bought it from ebay, so I dont know what it plays like, I am hoping it works out ok.

it has 60's custom shop pickups in it, does anyone know anything about these pickups?

my current bass is a yamaha 5 string(BBN5 II), I bought this one when I didnt know anything about basses, but now 3 years later, I still like this bass, I think I fluked out and found a well built made in taiwan yamaha bass...but the time has come for something better, hopefully I wont be disapponted!

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    MY MIM Fender is no reissue but when I bought it was plain someone didn't understand truss rods. I loosened it 3 full turns now have a great playing bass. Guess that is what buying used means and someone trying to make a guitar out of a bass. I play both. they are not the same animals.

If I could play it like I can work on it dang I could give up my day job play nights every night. Be famous die happy.

tk

8. Reviews....
    Fender Custom Shop 60's J-Bass

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Yes I believe I did possibly write a similar topic at an earlier date,I dont have access to a computer on a regular basis and did'nt realize I made such a horrific mistake:eek:
    But seeing how for the past year and a half I have been subjected to the same 10 topics being posted over and over I feel like my mistake is pardonable.
    I am so sorry you were forced to see the same topic twice in a 2 month period(why did you bother to read it if you seen it already? Did you just want something to bash someone about ?)
    I have read 300,000 topics pertaining to who's a better bassist FLEA or JACO ?, Which bass is better ? a jazz or a p-bass ?,Which is the best bass for punk ? ETC,ETC.
    Get my drift ? so please dont be so quick to point the finger,because for every finger you point at others there's one special one being pointed back at you:D
    So please accept my appologies,I am not as perfect as some who should be practicing instead of bashing.(you mite be a better player for it !)
    :bassist:

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I wasn't "bashing", I was just making an observation. For all I knew, you bought a second or different Classic '60s Jazz Bass. Don't get your panties in a bunch :D !
    Why do you read all those "Flea or Jaco" threads, or Jazz v. P-Bass threads if they annoy you? Maybe you should take some of your own advice ;) ?
    I don't think you should be pointing out who should be practicing. I get plenty of practice, and I gig EVERY WEEKEND, so maybe you should think a little more before you type.

Enjoy your Classic '60s Jazz Bass. I think I'll go play mine right now...:)

11. i bought one of these basses the first year they were released, 2001 i think. It was and is a great sounding bass. My favorite thing is the thin old school fretwire. Although i must admit to taking off the pickguard so i could have a 600 dollar jaco bass instead of a 2500 dollar one. And besides for the gigs i play, with no pickguard and screw holes in the bass, all the kids think its "punk rock" or something like that.

Anyway, last week i took it to the same luthier in south florida that set up jacos basses,Kevin Kaufman. Basically the truss rod is adjusted all the way, and its still wacked out. I am awaiting a replacement. Luckily fender is sending it for free.

Aside from this its wonderful.

12. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    The truth about factories is QC versus supervisor.

That is mostly why it doesn't matter if tomas or tom made the bass at the factory. If tom makes a bass and QC red tags it the Super comes along says I don't think it is that bad and pulls the red tag.

It ends up on the dealer's shelf.

The company expects to have to eat some of what is manufactured based on that. Hence the we will replace it for free. Some folks will get mad and buy another brand but most will remain happy with a company that they feel stood behind it's product.

Knowing that, I will say Fender is a reputable company and it doesn't matter if tom made it or tomas. In fact tomas may have had more time to work with less than perfect materials than what tom did working with the best of materials. Hence that gap in mass produced basses.

Fender makes money or they wouldn't be in business. QC may be good but production standards can't fall behind. Once again junk gets sent out because a plant manager or super says it is ok to send.

I think that is the way of factories and not limited to bass guitars. IMHO.

I think Chevys and Fords are the same way.

I am betting most reproduced basses sound and play just like the original did. Of course there is going to be the one the super said I don't think this is bad so send it out.

I am betting that happens with any mass produced product.

This is a good thread. Someone is happy with a MIM over a MIJ or MIA bass. I love that.

tk

13. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I am pleased with the purchase of the 60's re-issue bass for the most part,BUT I must say that the neck leaves a bit to be desired.
    It has a great finish and small fretts but it has some issues with its ability to be set-up well,I had to shim the bass side due to a back-bow on the treble side,and it moves quite a bit more than i would like,and seeing how the neck has to be removed to adjust the T-rod is more than I would like to adress on a regular basis.
    But other than that Its a nice bass with a sweet finish to boot,my buddy has a standard J bass(mex) that he hot-rodded with custom shop p-ups and a bad a$$ bridge and it still does'nt sound as good as the mex re-issue(he agree's 100% with me).
    So once the neck settles in after a year or so I will have medium sized fretts put in and have the neck professionally re-worked,that should make it a keeper.