Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60's style alder/rosewood bass- Sadowsky vs. Celinder

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Well, post away. I am an avid Sadowsky fan (I LOVE my Braz Rosewood/Ash 4 string!), what say you Celinder guys? I think many would agree that Sadowsky has the market on the 'modern jazz' bass sound, but what about a vintage 60's vibe? Who does this better, the vintage J from Celinder or a comparable model frm Sadowsky?

Could you add an Sadowsky preamp to a passive Celinder and get the best of both worlds? Thanks, Marc

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1

I've always liked these, and just finally picked one up. Its amazing. By far the best J bass I've played (though I have not played a sadowsky 4 string, only a modern 5).

3. Check Out the Shur bass........................

http://www.suhrguitars.com/

I've got one and John Suhr has got the 62 sound dead on!!!!

I can't say enough about it :bassist:

He used to make the Pensa Shurs with Ray from Rays in NY, and then on to the fender custom shop. They still use some of his electronics in there high end stuff. Other high end luthiers still/were using his pickups and preamps.

The build quality is superb and the tone is even better.

4. maybe a Lakland or Lull would be better at nailing the 60's Vintage vibe.

I've always thought that Sadowsky and Celinder approach the J bass from a more modern point of view?

I could be wrong...

5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
  6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    bump for editing above...