Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

60th Anniversary basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Anyone experience one of these yet?
    I'm looking into a new bass, and these came up. They're only about 1700.00!

-Mark

2. I'm surprised at the lack of response as I was instantly curious when I heard about them. Pics & specs look pretty cool to me. By the way, if you Google "60th anniversary jazz bass" you'll see they're going for $1149.95 at three retailers. I'm not sure if they actually are in stock yet, but would love to hear from someone who has played 'em.

3. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    On the Fender website pricelist, they list them at $1645.88, which I think is a great deal. I'm debating on grabbing one up.

I'm not sure if they're out yet, but I'm assuming they are.

-Mark

4. you should have indicated in ur first post u ment fender

5. Arent they pretty much normal MIA Fenders with a special headstock and neckplate?

6. The main page for it claims it has 62' custom Jazz PU's in it, but the specs claim they're standard MIA J PU's. Intresting. Do i smell marketing ploy?:ninja:

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Everything is a marketing ploy.

8. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Haha i'll put it in the title.
    I kinda thought people would assume Fender. How many other big name companies have been around for 60 years? Aside from Gibson.

-Mark

9. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto

A little company called RICKENBACKER has been here for 75 years.

TD

10. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario

Oooh, that's right!
    Thanks!

But still, back on topic. ANYONE have experience with the Fender Basses?

-Mark

11. not making basses they haven't :smug:

12. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Fender Hasn't Been making Basses for 60 years either.

2006-1951= 55 years.

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
  14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I haven't played one, and I think they're basically a marketing deal. They're American Series models gussied up with a headstock decal, fancy case, and the pickups from the American Vintage models. A modern P or J with vintage electronics is certainly a cool idea, but it would probably be cheaper to get the Am. Ser. and buy aftermarket pickups, at least with the P-bass.

So I sure wouldn't pay the usual asking price for one, but I'd consider the P for a nominal amount over the regular Am. Series prices if I found a good one. (Ain't no way the J will touch mine, which has noiseless Fralins.)

As for the series/parallel switch, run a search about the S-1, because several threads have addressed it. I found it useful on the J, where it fattens the tone a bit and increases output. I found it less useful on the P, but even there it has its place, probably mostly for recording.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think they retail for around $1100 or so.

16. IMHO In that price range I would expect a lot more. Maybe a special wood combination, ebony fretboard? Flamed Maple top? Of course that not really fenders vibe.

17. Only? :confused:

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I just brought mine home tonight. I plugged it in at low volumes into my Eden Nav/Crown 402/Shroeder 1210 rig. First impressions...Fender Factory set up aside I would say it has a very classy tone. Very smooth, great slap tone..it has that prototype "Oldschool Fender vibe". With the S-1 switch engaged, I would call it a poor mans P tone..still very good but more fatter and rounder. My head needs to be minorly tweaked for this bass and a step updone but so far I really like it!

19. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My student got a 60th anyversary J bass with the ash body and the maple neck with walnut stripe, and it is fab. I wish I had the money right now.