61-key "full-feature" pro-style synths for under $500, used or new

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 13, 2004.

1. What would be a good buy in this category? I've been looking at the Alesis QS series, which seems to do everything but acoustic pianos well (judging by the reviews I've read).

How about the Roland XP30 (usually a bit more expensive but not too much more so)? Do Korg or Yamaha have any products like what I'm looking for?

I'd mainly be using this for recording and maybe occasionally for doubling in gigs (a la Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads or Eric Axelson of the Dismemberment Plan), for more textures. Should I just get a decent 61-key MIDI controller and a rack? I don't have a laptop so a softsynth wouldn't be an option for performance.
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The Yamaha S30 goes for around $500 used.
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I think the Midi Controller and rack might cost you as much as a decent synth. Plus it's more effort to set up and take down. Get a decent synth, and it can act as a MIDI controller if you ever get to the point to you want to expand with some rack gear.

If you're used to playing piano, you might consider a keyboard that has weighted keys. If not than any keyboard with velocity sensitive keys can make for a decent midi controller.

Anyways, I have the Alesis QS 6, and it works fine for me. Figuring that I am by no means a pro keyboard player, it's more than I need. BTW, they go for around $200-$300 used.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Just remembered: Musician's Fiend is blowing out the E-mu PK-6 Proteus Keys for four bills. The Vintage Keys VK-6 is going for six.
  5. Hey Pete, I have a Yamaha S30 sitting in my garage. I can hook you up for less than $500, and I'm in the El Lay area as well.
  6. Well, Funky, if I don't win this one eBay auction for a QS7.1 (currently at $373.84), I'll give you a PM. I've got a nook in my living room that's just about perfectly sized for a 76-key synth, but a 61 would be a bit better suited for my needs.

Does your S30 have a case?