Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

610 better then 210+410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Jan 19, 2006.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I was wondering which one player's perfer?a 610 cab rated at 4 oms,or a 210 and 410 cabs together.....rated a 8 oms =4oms together? and which setup would have a better low end?or dose it not matter?

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I would prefer the 2x10 and 4x10 pair because they are more flexible than a single 6x10 cab. For low volume stuff, you could take just the 2x10. Louder gigs, just the 4x10. When you need Hurricane Force(tm), take both.

If I had a choice - and an amp that could drive 2-2/3 ohms - I'd get the 2x10 in 8 ohm and the 4x10 in 4 ohm. That way each speaker in both cabs would get the same amount of power.

3. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I like the 6x10 better if you get a small light one like an NV610 or epi UL610 why lug 2 cabs weighing around 60 to 80 pounds apiece when you could get one cab that weighs around 100 pounds but has a tilt and roll feature I have an Ampeg 6x10 and a Bergie 6x10 that I would much rather carry (roll) than my 2 2x10's one less trip and not that much more hassel as long as you have a car to move it but both are not much bigger than a 4x10. also you would never have to worry about not being loud enough. for small gigs i use my Mesa Scout but for everything else its my rack and a 6x10 you don't have to worry about different settings and trying to get a good sound one way but then when you use both cabs it sounds different or vice versa.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use a 2x10 + 4x10 setup. It is a lot easier to transport than a full 6x10, I would imagine. Also, I can downsize if need be. I like having the 2x10 driven a little hard (the one I use has nearly the same wattage handling as the 4x10 I use) because it projects well.

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Ok Cool.I my self have a GK 700rb 210 combo.........so i don't have much choice in the matter................but i was wondering.....if running 2 cab's to make 610s would give a better low end responce the one open 610 cab?do you know anything about that?

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you wanted equal power to go to each speaker, you'd need an 8 ohm 2x10 and a 4 ohm 4x10.

7. You'd also have to match them for sensitivity, because you want to get the same amount of sound out of each cab I would suppose.

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    True. I was thinking they'd be the same model.

I actually ran a 4 ohm Aggie GS410 and an 8 ohm Eden D-210XLT off a stereo amp for a while. Sounded really good, actually.

9. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    well you see my other problem is that the Gk head cand only go down to 4 ohms.So i have to get a nother 8 ohm cab

10. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    A problem with a 6x10 cab might be stairs. Sure it has tilt back goodness...but does it come with a roadie?:smug:

My first two gigs with my brand new band this weekend were both second story jobs. I'm only taking my 4x10 SWR cab and that's crazy enough to load up & down myself. I also own a 2x10 SWR and stack 'em for bigger jobs -- mostly outdoors. I love my 2x10 solo for jazz gigs and rehearsals.

I did try one of the SWR 6x10 cabs and absolutely loved it...but since I already had a 2x10...the 4x10 was the logical choice for me.

8+8=4.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    210 + 410 can be just as good as a 610, and a 610 can be just as good as a 210 +410. You need to list models.

12. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    What i have is a GK700rb 210 combo with a 210 swr goliath 3 jr ext cab......and am looking at replacing the swr 210and putting a GK 410rbh under it......How would that compare to say a swr goliath sr.?

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I wouldn't get a 4 ohm 610, I'd get a 6 ohm. They have to wire it kinda weird to get to 4 ohm w/ 6 speakers. There are plenty out there. The Ampegs are 4 ohm, I'm a big Ampeg fan, but that's not my favorite cab. Some love them and have no problem, I like 6 ohm. 3 and 6 speaker cabs are often 6 ohm.

14. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    now since my combo is ported,if i got a sealed 410 cab or a ported 410 cab and would a sealed cab sound good witha ported on.Cause my problem is getting the b string to project with punch passed 30ft..........at 75ft it comes back but as i said not with a who lot of punch.So i am wanting a cab that will push that b string out there past 30 ft with a good punch........Hope you can help!!!!

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd go for a good quality 1x15 if I were in your shoes.

16. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Bergantino NV610 is 4 Ohms, sounds like the old Ampeg 810's too, more so than the new Classics.

17. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Question for all of you bass player's out there.If have a GK 700rb-II,and run it through a 8 ohm 210 and a 8 ohm 410 cab's stacked making 610's........seeing that the 700rb II is a 480watts at 4 ohm's............If I am right,The 210 would be getting 240 watts meaning that each speaker in the cab would be getting 120 each...and the 410 would only get 240...meaning that each of it's speaker's would only be getting 60 watts each.So would it not be better to use a 610 cab,Cause then each speaker would be getting 80 watts a piece...right?........I would like to here your thought's on this........really hope you all can help...Thankx

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there really isnt a huge difference between the 210/410 like you're doing and the 610

yes, the speakers in the 210 get twice the wattage, but that really doesn't add up to a big difference in volume - only an increase of 3dB, or just noticeable. i used a 210/410 combinaqtion for years, and it's actually a very common one.

enjoy not having a big bulky cab, and enjoy being able to bring the 210 to small gigs, the 410 to medium ones, and both to large.

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you chose a 410 that was significantly more sensitive that the 210 it could balance back out.

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, the deal is this.............

the 210 gets 2x the wattage to its speakers, but the 410 has twice the speakers. So, volume wise, the cabs tend to be dead equal.

when i used an swr goliath 1 and eden 210 xlt they were just as loud as one another. the 410 was rated at 105 dB and the 210 was 103. specs aside, i've found that unless two 8 ohm cabs are radically different in sensitivity or voicing they tend to equal out in volume in most cases.