610 shootout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wounded Paw, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Bergantino NV610

28 vote(s)
  2. SWR Goliath Senoir

13 vote(s)
  3. Ampeg SVT-610HLF

12 vote(s)
  4. other (specify)

9 vote(s)
  1. So I've just about decided to replace my ampeg 410 and swr 212 speaker cabs with a single 610 to be used with my early 70's SVT.
    I like a full sound, lots of mid and low end but not too much hifi high end.
    I know I like the SWR Goliath Senior from the two chances I've had to use one live. The Bergantino NV610 sounds interesting, smaller size/weight is attractive but I don't know much about the sound. What other options are out there? Ampeg ....
    I'm looking to stay around $1000 US if possible
  2. Why not a 70's SVT 810 cab?
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    voted Bergantino cause that would be the cabinet for me if I wasn't planning one of his 215's.... and I dislike horns

if I liked horns and I didn't got to an HT322 I'd look at the Epifani 610
  4. Two reasons I don't want an 810
    Size - a 610 will go in my car
    and the last chance I had to use an original SVT 810 I was not impressed with the sound, there wasn't enough clarity. But maybe the cab was in rough shape.
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I use my 70's SVT with a 610HLF and it kicks some seriouse booty!, No complaint's here, But I never heard the NV or the SWR either.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...Epifani hands down...had a NV610 & compared it to an Epi...the Epi SMOKED it...that's why I sold the Berg(amongst other reasons)...

Honestly, if you want a "vintage" sound, go with the Berg. Anything else, do the Epi...

PS: I currently use a Bag End D10B-D with Mesa Diesels(15 & 18 EV's), sounds sweet with my Kern & Eden pre's...
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've owned an SWR Goliath Sr. Punchiest, clearest sounding of those cabs. You might also want to consider a Genz Benz 610-XB2
  8. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    While the Ampeg might give you the most "vintage Ampeg" tone, I'd give the GenzBenz a try. It aims to deliver a real rock tone. It's also pretty efficient, (which is a darn good thing if you are a tube guy). Good price point, too.
  9. The Ampeg just gets an aggressive, funky-nasty sweaty mid-thing goin on that is so damn tasty.

It's better, imo, to a sealed 8 x 10, because of the ported bottom chamber. It's got oooomph. My friend Funkster (above) and Paul both have that cab. I covet them.

But in a way, I'm really becomming a 2 x 12 kinda guy...oh, Avatar....

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I'd LOVE to try a Genz 6x10XB2! No one has them in the NYC/NJ area though...

11. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I had both the swr and berg 610. Side by side it was hard to tell them apart with the heads I was useing (ebs td650 and demeter/poweramp). Where the big difference was in a live setting. The berg realy stands out. I sold the swr and now that I have the nv610 the big thing I have noticed is it lets the color of your bass and amp come through more. If you use the berg 610 with a svt you will have the classic vintage tone. Use the berg with a trace head (my favorite btw) you get a great vintage trace tone. Ive ran the berg with a aguilar db680 pre/power and got a nice tight and strong tone. Havent played the epifani 610 yet but I would guess that its a swr on steriods. JMO but to me the berg nv610 is a sleeper, a undiscoverd great all around cab.
  12. It seems the NV610 has a commanding lead. I'm gonna see how hard it would be to get my hands on one here in Toronto (Canada).
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Another vote for the NV610.

Note that the NV610 is a sealed cab and has no tweeter. It's very punchy and focused, but if you A/B it with a modern ported, tweetered cabinet it may sound less hi-fi (especially if you slap on roundwounds). But I love it live... my most-often used description is, "growls like a mofo".

I used to own the SWR Goliath Sr... really nice cabinet, but I sold the SWR and kept the NV610 primarily because the SWR sounds a bit mid-scooped to my ears.

I don't have enough personal experience with the Ampeg 610 to comment.
  14. Well that makes it sound even more like the cab I want.

15. Club Bass is carrying Berg now, don't think they have any of the NVs right now though. I should get mine on Monday and I'll post a report of how it sounds with the SVT!
    It cost me $1350 CAD shipped, BTW. I suspect that shipping to Newfoundland is pricier than shipping to Toronto ;) Berg does fixed pricing (like Sadowsky) so $900US before shipping is about the best you'll see...

I liked the SWR 610, but found the tweeter to be overbearing for my style. I preferred the 410HLF to the 610HLF in terms of tone, I'm using a 410HLF with the horn bypassed now.
  16. Club Bass now has the NV610 listed on their site. Interesting. It's just around the corner from my house. They list it at $1395 CDN.

17. I'm going to get dinged for customs and brokerage that will probably get me up around $1400.....
    I can't wait to get it and plug the SVT into it!
  18. Looks like I'm going for it. Club Bass can get me one before I leave on tour next Friday. Nice guy, very knowledgeable on bass gear.
    We're hitting the east coast for 10 days starting April 9th.

19. That's great about the NV-610!

How far east you coming?

20. Ah, from your website I see you're only getting as far as Halifax. The Marquee is a great venue, but I wouldn't wander around that neighbourhood alone after dark.... :D