1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

610hlf speakers lighting up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RHA III, Aug 7, 2012.

1. RHA III

RHA III Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2012
    OR
    Sometimes while playing loud I notice light flashing from the inside of the cabinet. Shining thru the speaker cones!

What does it mean? Some sort of clipping light?

2. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Protection circuitry for the tweeter often uses a lightbulb to soak up excess high frequency energy.

3. ^ what he said

It's a bulb that disipates the extra energy as light instead of letting it through to blow up your tweeter/speakers

Basically when things start lighting up your cab is at it's limitations and you should back off a bit

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well back off the highs, at least.

5. RHA III

Jul 22, 2012
    OR
    Thanks guys, would you turn down the knob on the back of the cab or use the eq on the bass and/or head?

I usually have my treble/tweeter knobs at noon.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Are you using overdrive/distortion when it happens?

I loved my 610HLF and the only time I got the light when I had my ODB-3 kicked up too loud.

7. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

May 11, 2012
    I had the same problem with my 610HLF. It would only do it when I was using my SYB-5 synth pedal at loud volumes. I turned my tweeter off and adjusted my pedal so it wasn't so loud when I use the effect and it fixed my problem.

8. RHA III

Jul 22, 2012
    OR
    Now that I think about it, it happens when using a tech 21 sansamp petal.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When you use a distortion pedal, it overloads your highs and upper mids to a crazy level that tweeters have a hard time dealing with. So I would suggest turning off the tweeter completely when using distortion.