1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

610's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woking Bass, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Woking Bass

Woking Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    My current rig is a GK700RBII and Ampeg 410HE. I want a 610 and the obvious (I think?) choice is the Berg NV610, but what else is out there that recommended? I tried a 2 x 15 but prefer the 10s. Not too worried about weight, just want a bit more speaker area.

For reference, I play a P with flats and go for a fairly old school rock / blues tone - I often use a VT with my rig too.

2. Ampeg makes one as well.

IMHO not all 610's or 215's are created equal, obviously or they would all sound the same. I would encourage you to go out and try as many 610's and 215's as you can find. Something will peak your interest.

3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fender came out with a Neo 610 with the Super Bassman as well. I can't speak to its tone, but it is a thing.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Why do you want a 610 over an 810? What does the 610 offer that the 810 doesn't?

5. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I had a Mesa Road Ready 610 a few years ago that would knock the jam outcha toes and make your boogers go south for the winter! (stolen from the Infectious Grooves) It was built like a tank and weighed about the same as one though. Great cab I thought.

6. Woking Bass

Woking Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Smaller for transport is the main reason.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    For an old school sound, there is no better choice for a 610 than the NV610 - for something a bit more modern sounding, IMO/IME, the top two choices are Mesa's PH610 and SWR's Goliath Sr...

I'm curious what 215 you tried - because I've gotta say that my PH215 NAILS the old school vibe, yet can do pretty well for a modern sound, too... I've been gigging a Streamliner 900 into a PH215, and it's a really good pairing...

- georgestrings

8. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    I have a MarkBass 106HF and love it!

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I sold my Goliath Sr when downsizing. Big mistake but I needed the room.

For some reason 6 10 cabs seem to get louder and I prefer them to an 8 10.

A TB member was selling a 610XLT not too long ago.

I use an Eden WTX264 now because it's light. It does not sound like the 610 and isn't as loud.

And just to be clear I was a 2 15 man all the way until I get the Goliath Sr.

10. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I say get a Berg NV610 and be done with it. I have one, and it is da bomb! I have had a plethora of other cabs, and the NV610 still reigns king for me.

11. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I haven't tried it myself, but don't forget the Barefaced 69'er if you're considering a 6x10.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, the Goliath Sr is a great cab - I used one in a rehearsal space while gigging a PH610, so I got to know both cabs pretty well... An added bonus of the Goliath Sr is that they can often be found for a reasonable price on the used market...

Regarding the "610s seem to ge louder than an 810" - maybe when compared to an Ampeg(ported vs non-ported), but my PH810 will definitely stomp any 610 out there, including the Goliath Sr...

- georgestrings

13. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    You might also consider and EDEN D610XST

14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey

15. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I really didn't care for 610's but being that it's a little bit easier to transport and has more speakers than a 410.

When I had a chance to get an NV610, I jumped on it and haven't regretted it.

When I was looking for a 610, I was looking at these 4 brands:
    Berg NV610
    Mesa PH610
    Ampeg 610HLF
    Eden D610XST

16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The Berg or Mesa would be my two choices.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Ashdown makes some good affordable 610's as well :)

19. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The discontinued eden d610xlt is just plain scary and probably the best for me, the nv610 is just awsome and easier to move, the mesa stuff is good too but, really heavy and bulky for no reason.

20. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    I have the Ashdown ABM610 and I love it! I also have the ABM810 and can safely say that they are both great cabs. However, by way of maneuverability, they are very similiar. The 610 is slightly shorter, but only by a few inches.

I've tried the Markbass 106 as well but didn't really care for it. Can't put my finger on why, but the Ashdown was just more my flavour!