1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'62 American Vintage Jazz Bass Pickup Problem?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CliftonBonney, Sep 30, 2008.

1. My '62 American Vintage Jazz bass has very low output even with both volume knobs cranked. I recently had a sound guy at a gig say that he's never dealt with a bass with that low of an output. Is there something wrong here or is this the nature of the beast? Thanks. :confused:

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Try raising the pickups closer to the strings and see how it sounds. Are you sure the pickups are original?

3. They're orginal. I'll try raising the pickups but won't this throw my intonation out of whack?

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    No, the intonation will remain the same.

Raise the pickups until there's about 1/8" between them and the strings when the strings are fretted at the last fret.

5. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Shouldn't mess with with the intonation at all, unless you're messing with the bridge or your pickups are squished against the strings. :)

6. I tried raising the pickups. I can't notice much of a difference, if any. Think something is wrong with the pickups?

7. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    maybe the pots are the problem?

8. What kind of problem could there be? Thanks for the help.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well get out a digital multimeter and plug in a cable, check the resistance of the front and rear pickups separately (volume off on the rear one when checking the front one).

I just checked my MIA 62RI :
    front pickup reads 7.1k ohm
    rear pickup reads 7.6k ohm

That will establish if they're both working, and if they have similar readings, then they should be plenty loud. If not, then start looking for a broken wire somewhere.

10. Thanks for the tip. I just need to find a digital multimeter.

11. Can you give me some recommendations for a digital multimeter and any other accessories I need to do this? Thanks.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You can buy a multimeter at Radio Shack for about 15 bucks.
    That's all you need.
    Then just plug in an instrument cable, and touch the mulitmeter tips onto the other end of the instrument cable (positive and negative) set th meter on ohms and see what each pickup puts out. This is the way you know if the pickups are good, weak, or open (broken winding or wire).

13. Thanks!!! I'll get one and test out the pick ups.