1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'62 B-15N Score! (was:70s B15N cab w/ Jensen C15K. Opinions?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mbasile, Aug 12, 2017.

1. mbasile

mbasile

Mar 16, 2015
    I found a 70s B15N cabinet at a local shop fitted with a C15K speaker. The cab has the older ampeg logo on the wood, rather than the newer one of the grille cloth. I haven't had a chance to haul in my amp head and one of my basses yet, so I'm seeing if anyone on here has experience with this combination, or the C15K speaker.

Also, would $225 be a decent price? I researched a lot about B-15 amps a while back, but never abut the cabs by themselves.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The Jensen speaker is not original. It's a guitar speaker. You can buy a good replacement speaker, an Eminence Delta 15A for around $100.

The asking price of $225 is good, but as always, it depends on the condition of the cab. You can always use the non original speaker as leverage, offer less, and see what they will accept.

There are potential issues with old cabs. There could be buzzing for various reasons, the gasket under the lid might need replacing, the latches might need attention.

ThisBass likes this.
  3. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    Beans is right but I'd snap it up at that price unless it is REALLY a POS. I had one and they sound great. Mine had the original speaker in it.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That doesn't sound like 70's to me. This is what they looked like in the 70's:

[​IMG]

These are older ones from the 60's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bobyoung53 and beans-on-toast like this.
  5. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    The answer to your cab might be on this page, Beans linked it from the Ampeg B-15 club. The optional cab they sell sounds like the one you described. There cab has the Jensen speaker C15K. Trinity Trip Top Kit

Here's what it looks like in raw form, can't explain the Ampeg insignia on the one you are looking at though. Did you buy that one?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  6. C15K might be a vintage sounding option.
    I don't think I have ever heard one.
    I doubt the B15 would have enough power to hurt one
    right away, so give it a try.
    If I had a B15, I think I'd look for a JBL D140 or
    an Altec 421 for some nice old school tone.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ampeg did put C15's and P15's in them in the old days before they went to CTS. Probably is not a bad choice. Awfully expensive for a 100w speaker, though.

8. mbasile

mbasile

Mar 16, 2015
    IMG_1623.JPG IMG_1658.JPG IMG_1655.JPG So I picked up the cab for $200.

The tag said it was a 70s, but after getting it home and removing the speaker I've confirmed that it is a double baffle, although the check looks like darker black check instead of blue. Did they ever do a black check? Maybe it was refinished before the smooth black finish was put over the top of the check.

The C15K in there is a 16ohm, which I find strange but I have a Beta 15A on the way from Sweetwater.

9. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    No, they did not have a black check tolex back then. Yours may have been painted although, depending on the lighting, the blue check can look black. From what I can see of the cabinet you did well for $200. Just an FYI, the grill should be rotated 90 degrees - the lines in the cloth normally run horizontally.

10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    This cab does not have blue check tolex on it. From what I've seen of it, it looks like it has been recovered. Looks like a '62. Good bones for a restoration or keep it as is. Either way, you did well.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    This gentleman posted an updated pic of it on Facebook, and apparently there was some sort of covering over it, because he peeled it off and it's blue check under it. I'd post the pic but it's not mine to post.

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The posts make sense now.

I don't belong to facebook (for security reasons) and I get a big popup asking me to log in when I go to any pages on their site.

JimmyM likes this.