Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'62 control plate

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkdified, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Does anyone have experience with one of these? Would the two volume, two tone give more control over the sound, is it a big difference? I found a couple for about $60 and thought about giving them a shot. I really want to go back to a nice passive tone. I have a j-retro now and never use the active switch.

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I never had a vintage '62 setup (I actually bought a '62 Jazz two months ago but it's one of the later ones with V/V/T). I was also curious about this setup so I recently decided to modify my other Jazz and took it a little further - concentric V/T on each pickup with a master volume that's push/pull-series/parallel for a set of Aero's, all passive.

So far I like it a lot. I'm not a constant tone tweaker, pretty much set and forget, but there's that added flexibility that's hard not to like. Not always needed, but nice to have. The master volume is a really nice feature with this setup.

I'm still exploring, but I'm pretty happy with it.

3. bpocall

bpocall

Jun 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't have any experience with them, but if you're going to get one, they have them for $17.79 at basspartsresource.com

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    check out Angela instruments

the three hole control plat you are looking for is on sale for $10!!!

That store is awesome for vintage repro stuff.

~MIchael

5. Thanks all the one I found is a Fender production one for about $60, but I guess its all the same electronics (250K pot,cap). Thanks for the info. As soon as the support membership is back up on the 21st I'll be selling that j-retro so be ready if you want one cheap.
    Here is what I was talking about. They have it for $70
    http://www.basspartsresource.com/stackknobkit.jpg