'62 control plate

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkdified, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Does anyone have experience with one of these? Would the two volume, two tone give more control over the sound, is it a big difference? I found a couple for about $60 and thought about giving them a shot. I really want to go back to a nice passive tone. I have a j-retro now and never use the active switch.
  2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I never had a vintage '62 setup (I actually bought a '62 Jazz two months ago but it's one of the later ones with V/V/T). I was also curious about this setup so I recently decided to modify my other Jazz and took it a little further - concentric V/T on each pickup with a master volume that's push/pull-series/parallel for a set of Aero's, all passive.

So far I like it a lot. I'm not a constant tone tweaker, pretty much set and forget, but there's that added flexibility that's hard not to like. Not always needed, but nice to have. The master volume is a really nice feature with this setup.

I'm still exploring, but I'm pretty happy with it.
  3. bpocall

Jun 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't have any experience with them, but if you're going to get one, they have them for $17.79 at basspartsresource.com
  4. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    check out Angela instruments

the three hole control plat you are looking for is on sale for $10!!!

That store is awesome for vintage repro stuff.

5. Thanks all the one I found is a Fender production one for about $60, but I guess its all the same electronics (250K pot,cap). Thanks for the info. As soon as the support membership is back up on the 21st I'll be selling that j-retro so be ready if you want one cheap.
    Here is what I was talking about. They have it for $70