Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'62 Fender Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wolzly, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005
    I've been reading some things on vintage pickups, mainly on this site actually... and I think I'd really like to install the fender ones on my bass, but I'm having some trouble finding somewhere to actually pick them up :p

I called a local instrument shop to get a quote and they said it would be $150 (that's canadian) which to me seems like a hell of a lot since my cheap-ass bass only cost me $175 to begin with...

Is that a decent amount to pay for said pickups? All the online sites say that it should be around $60 (canadian). But those same online sites don't seem to be able to ship to canada, and I can't find one that will... :(

Maybe someone knows of a good online resource to order from?

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I don't know the currect exchange rate. But in the USA I see them for about $125 for both Precision Bass pickups (U didn't mention whether it was jazz bass or p-bass)

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I bought mine for 60 bucks US, and I think they're worth every penny.

4. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005
    Ooo sorry they're for the P Bass.

And I'd rather fork out the $60 than $125...

5. Where did you find them for 60$? was it online or at a store? if online what was the site?

6. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Angela Instruments

Has the 62 re-issue pickups for $59.00 but I'm not sure if they ship to Canada. If you can't find anybody to do it let me know, I'd be willing to be the shipping middle man for you if you run out of other options.

7. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005

"We ship WORLDWIDE." According to their site, so THANK YOU very much if this works ;)

This will definitely save me a good chunk of change compared to the retail shop I was going to grab them from :D

... I know this is probably over-paranoid of me, but I still get pretty nervous when ordering things online. The whole credit-card number sending and all that just makes me cringe. And then with this site it's just all over email? I know that probably with more sites that sell items their "forms" are probably just sent as email to the order-desk or what-have-you... but still.

This site is reputable, I take it? "steve@angela.com"? :eyebrow:

8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Just to let you know Fender doesn't sell '62 Jazz Bass pickups. They sell Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass pickups which sound nice, but are not as good sounding as those found on a '62RI J-Bass. They even look different. Either the website is trying to sell you short or he's ignorant.

9. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005
    No no they are precision pickups ;)

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Ahh...hit me with a frozen trout then.

:bag:

11. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005
    :hyper:

Happy happy joy joy! They came!!!

Thanks for the Angela Instruments heads-up, jwymore. I may use them again if I need to.

... so now the only thing left to do is install the buggers. Anything I should know before I take the pickguard off my bass and start mucking around? For a passive bass is it just pickup->controls->input jack? No "preamp" or anything? I am such a noob when it comes to electronics I really have no idea and probably won't know until I open the damn thing up :p

Are there any noob resources online for DIY bass-guitar electronics?

Also, should I replace anything else on my dumpy little bass while I'm at it? Pots? Wires? Anything?

12. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Glad that worked out for you .... :hyper:

You don't have to do anything but wire the pickups in, but if you want to do some things adding a good shielding job and some good quality pots and capacitor can't hurt.

Since you mention you are new to the mod thing you may want to search around in Talkbass a bit. I'm sure there are some good threads on wiring and shielding available.

13. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    stewmac's free info!
    guitarelectronics.com

google can give u tons of different diagrams. there should be a schematic diagram equipped with the pups too!

u need soldering iron and solder wire to connect them!

14. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005
    Alright I got the pickups installed and soldered in and they work GREAT! What an awsome sound, I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

I did notice, however that my groud wires weren't shielded. Is this a problem or is this pretty standard? The wires go from the pickup-shield, to the pickup, to the pots (both), to the jack, then back into the bass... to what I assume would be ... well I don't know actually :p

So anyways... should I replace the wire with some cloth-wrapped wire or leave the open-wiring as is.

Also... I'm thinking about replacing the pots, but I'm not really sure what the benefits would be. I could also replace the... uhmm.. capacitor? resistor? which one is it dammit :p But again, benefits?

I'd like to push the bass as far as it will go as far as quality of electronics and now that I've got my vintage pickups in I'd really like to get the rest of the hardware up to par with them :D

I'm also thinking about maybe throwing in some cool gadget type controls but I don't really know what kinda things are possible... what kinda things people have done already, you know? As it is now I have two pots, one for volume one for tone. I was thikning about maybe turning those into a Dual Concentric Control Pot, and then using the other one for... something else :p

Any ideas/resources I should look at?

Thanks a lot :D :bassist:

Oh and I almost forgot... what's the difference between 250K, 500K and 1meg ohm pots? The ones in my bass are 250K, is that good?

15. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Your ground wires don't need to be shielded.

250K pots are the recommended value for passive single coil or P-Bass style pickups.

The P-Bass circuit is pretty simple so there are not a lot of fancy things you can do to it. If your bass is a cheaper model or an import you might gain some clarity and openess by going to some good quality CTS pots and a better capacitor than the small round ceramic disk type you most likely have now.

One area where you might experiment is with strings. Different strings can make huge changes in your tone ..... but if you like where you are at now tone wise ...... be happy!! :)

16. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005
    Yah, the strings I have now are *very* cheap so that would be something to look at pretty soon.

The capacitor should be replaced maybe you say? All the ones I've looked at on the net are those "round disk" type that you refer to... what others would you recommend? link?

17. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I apologize for the shameless plug: ;)

Orange Drop

You can also use the green square ones that Fender sells or the Mallory cylinder style. All are a step above the ceramic disc capacitors IMHO and not expensive.

18. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    John, can I place an order w/out getting spanked on shipping? Can you toss them in a regular envelope?

Damn, I wish I had known about your great prices on Hipshots before I had placed an order last week.