62 jazz bass RI vs. stu hamm urge???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AaronWarren, Feb 23, 2001.

1. AaronWarren

AaronWarren Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Sunny SoCal
    alright i need your guys' help. i can get either on of these basses but im down to the wire and want to know what you guys think is the best one. i know a lot of you have played bass for a long time so i value your input. tell me what you think.
  2. This is easily answered. Which one do you want?

The 62RI is traditional. The Stu Hamm (I used to have one of the Mark 1 versions) is utterly modern. I got rid of my Stu Hamm because I wanted a traditional groovy sound and went for a passive P bass. So if you you want the modern, active sound get a Hamm. If you are trad get a Jazz.

So what style are you after? What do you play?
  3. darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    judging by your screen name, you're into the ska thing. the jazz bass will give you the tone you want for that style of music. it's also versitile enough for other styles, but if you put flatwounds on it, you can get a killer tone reminiscent of an upright. my reggae band does a few ska tunes and the richer low tones are vital. another thing to think about are the pickups. lots of ska bass lines are very fast. it can be difficult to be consistent in how hard you hit the strings at those speeds. active pickups will kill you unless you're a really, really, really, really, really, very, quite talented musician.
  4. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    The '62 RI is a great bass, all the way around. The Urge is not for everyone. If you're talking about the original Urge, it's got a 32", active (the passive option isn't worth talking about due to very low output pickups) electronics and is very modern sounding. The high strings sound very bright, and it's not very well balanced, especially between the E & A. It's a VERY nice player, though.