1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

62' Jazz Concentric with a Series switch in a 4 hole plate diagram?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dostradamas, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    I am looking & looking. I find lots with series switches w V/V/T & S1 mods but I cannot find a wiring diagram for what I want to do:

Std 4 hole jazz plate
    1st hole V/T Stacked 62' pots
    2nd hole V/T Stacked 62' pots
    3rd hole Series / paralell switch
    4th hole Output jack

This thread is the closest I have found but alas no diagram
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/finally-want-mod-jazz-845691/
    Help anyone

2. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    Not one "search function is your friend."
    Come on somebody please berate my ignorance with your knowledge.
    I cannot believe I have stumped Talkbass.

3. Did you want the setup with the resistors to isolate the tone controls, or the usual VVTT method?

Here is a diagram for the usual VVTT method. A mini toggle would be wired the same as the push/pull shown. Note that the tone controls are going to interact, though, since there are two of them in parallel. I can redraw this for the fixed resistor method, but you will lose output with the resistors. Most would prefer only one tone control to avoid these issues.
    3396717411_1cf48994f4_o.

4. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Line6man rules!

I have the 62 VVTT on my favorite bass.. having 2 diff value caps without the resistor sounds really good to my ears. I never use them at the same time, but sometimes i'll favor one over the other..

5. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks Line6man!
    Yeah the VVTT with 2 different values to be used mostly independantly is what I am looking to do.
    I knew someone had done this.

6. Apparently my image has been downloaded 1290 times! I had no idea how popular this setup was.:eek::eek:

7. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah it seems the stacked pots are hot. I was going to do this a couple years ago but I relented & vent VVT std.
    Thanks again.
    Maybe you should start your own sub forum.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Fender didn't seem to think so!

9. Leo apparently thought it was brilliant in the early '60s. It didn't take long for players to disagree, however, so Fender stopped fooling around with it, except for the reissues or whatever that are meant to be period-correct.

Some players still like it, I suppose.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Leo probably also thought it was too dull sounding, since his hearing wasn't so good. His basses got progressively brighter and brighter as the years passed.

Jaco didn't like it either.