62 Jazz for $2500? Miss leading ebay ad.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RickyTee, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RickyTee

RickyTee

Nov 26, 2015
    London On Canada
    Ok guys. We all lust for that collectors bass. I was looking on the good old bay and found this.

Vintage 1962 fender jazz bass

At first my hair stood up. A 62 jazz for $2500? ***! We all see the inflated prices in these going from $5000-$10000 so when I saw $2500 I wondered is this for real (some guy selling his bass for what it is worth) and not some insane price.

Then it hit me when I slowed down and read it properly

Title " Vintage 62 Jazz bass."

Condition “1962 Fender Jazz Bass reissued. Awesome sounding bass, AWESOME!!”

But then further down in the description it reads

Exact year: 1962 Brand: Fender Style: Jazz

Then in his written description it says:

1962 Vintage Fender Jazz Bass,
    Plays like a champ, and the sound is just AWESOME!!! I play Jazz on it, Marley, Motown and it punches like Crazy. Sometimes folks think I'm playing a Fretless.

A little deception here ? or just a bit of "lack of advertise knowledge" You decide

soktau likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Intentionally falsified, I would tempted to report it as a scam.

3. radioripster

radioripster

Sep 30, 2008
    Yep.. old vintage reissue and misleading to a point. Let the buyer beware..like they say. The first things that I look for are the tuning keys ..threads are closer together on the reissues compared to the old riveted key nickel tuners and I check out the neck plate then I go from there.

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting that the seller has 0 feedback. There is definitely a lot of deception in this listing. I will stay far away (even though it might actually be a nice bass).

Bones

5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Buyer beware!

6. Seller Notes: “1962 Fender Jazz Bass reissued. Awesome sounding bass, AWESOME!!”

reissued

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    On the other hand, he's falsely listing the year of the bass. It should be listed instead more like "200x Fender Jazz Bass, '62 reissue", if the seller cared to try to be honest. They clearly do not.

8. Either way, the description is pretty weak sauce.

Ductapeman likes this.
  9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Right off the bat, the first photo shows the font on the headstock, indicative of the '80s AVRI series.

Kukulkan61 and Ductapeman like this.
  10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I like how the strings appear to be an inch off the fretboard. That's how you know whoever owned took care of it and knew what they were doing. A real "players" bass:rollno:

Icemanaroonie and Reverend179 like this.
  11. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I thought the decal looked phoney, TBH. Either he's an idiot or he thinks we are.

Ductapeman likes this.
  12. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah. Everyone be careful out there, double check things. There are a lot of dishonest or misleading sellers on eBay. It pays to think twice!

13. GranSportMan

GranSportMan

Dec 14, 2010
    I submitted a fraudulent listing report to eBay on this one. It did not give me the option to list any details. Perhaps they will take the listing down.

14. Honestly I think it's just a poorly written ad by a newbie seller. I don't think there is much in there that implies that it's a vintage 62 bass. And in fact it actually has the word "reissue" in the listing.

SirMjac28 and funkymonk13 like this.
  15. Except that he/she put 1962 as the exact year of manufacture.

16. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Note the "free local pickup" :mad: Oh yeah, I trust this guy! :meh: Let me guess..he will take 2k cash for local pickup....:spit:

17. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    If we are talking what a mia is worth today, then sure , the guy is selling the bass for wht it us worth. Unfortunately , all collector items carry a premium. Inflated at 10k? Not really , just expensive. Is this particular bass inflated in price? Yes, id say by 500 or 700 bucks, although if owned for long enough , the buyer can end up making a profit.

18. I still think it's just piss poor listing not deceit. I mean the price is not anywhere near what a real 1962 jazz would be AND it's a local pickup where it can be checked out closely.

19. The ad clearly shows he takes Paypal. That is more dangerous to him than the buyer. A buyer can pick it up and then claim with Paypal they don't have it. Paypal will ONLY accept an actual tracking number to prove delivery so the buyer could easily scam all of their money back. I have turned down local pickups on eBay because of this.

Eric Bates and SirMjac28 like this.
  20. brother21

brother21

Dec 26, 2008
    Anaheim
    Don't even think about spending more than $500 on a Fender Bass. Set up correctly they will perform great. 60 year old technology that is perfect.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021