62 jazz possible pickup swap.. recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Soma666, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    Hey guys, I have a CIJ 62 RI fretless. It is a cool bass. I was gonna sell it a while back, and then let a friend borrow it. When i got it back I havent stopped playing it. Really getting into the fretless feel.

My question is, if I wanted to change out the pickups for something sounding a bit better, What would be a good set? I am asking this to hear opinions from peeps who have had experience with this. Just wanting some recommendations and feeling on different sounds.

Obviously because this is a 62 RI fretless I was inspired by Jaco when I bought the bass. My playing style is nothing like his but I just liked the whole dirty, gritty, vintage fender sound he was making.

I want something that could be a bit more punchier and growlier than the stock pups. I have a set of american vintage pups lying around. Obviously they wont give me much more balls than the standard ones I got in, but is it worth a shot? Messing with the integrity of the bass?

Maybe a pre-amp? I have a fretted jazz with dimarzio ultra jazz and an audere in and its very modern sounding...

Anyway, what do you guys think of all this?

Thanks
    A.

2. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    IMHO Nothing beats Fenders '60s CS pups for that Jaco'esque tone. Fralin and Nordstrands are also very good.

3. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    was looking at some nordstrands actually. which ones would you recommend? theres the nj4, nj4sv and nj4se... im kinda thinking the humbuckers? i might stick the fender CS ones in there in the morning and see how i like them

4. Fat K

Fat K

Mar 7, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The Lollar j pickups are also very good.

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Listen to "bass B" and tell me you want anything else: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626148&highlight=

Granted, that tone is not very Jaco, but back off on the bridge volume and the tone a bit and...well those NJ4 pickups just sound awesome.

EDIT: I have CS 62s in my AmStd Jazz. These are also very good pickups.

6. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    wow, thanks for the thread link man. that is such an interesting experiment.the tonal differences betweenthe basses are so incredibly subtle to hear.some sound exactly the same to me. the nordstrand SX did sound really good tho. the mustang had a bit more vintage vibe than any of the others.

my pick would be either the lakland with both on full sporting the laklandDJ4 pickups or the nordstrands. that is very very interesting.

do u have any recordings of your AmStd jazz with the CS pups in? i would love to hear how they stack up against the nordstrands and the DJ4's

thanks for the great info man

7. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
  8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
  9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I do not think I have ever recorded them. You could try here:

http://basstasters.com/pickups/Fender_60s_Jazz.html

But, in 10,000 clips on that page, I'm not sure any really capture what I hear from mine.

Lots of good pickups out there, though. Duncans, Nordstrands, etc. Hard to go wrong, and with a lot of them you are splitting hairs.

10. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    Ok. I'm gonna stick the custom shop 60's in there tonight and see how they go for and if I don't get along with them I'll give those lollars a try. Woohoo. Thanks for the advice gents

11. My Fender 62ri is fretted. Love the bass, love the Lollar pups. Raised pole pieces on the A & D strings give a wonderfully balanced sound string to string. Enjoy!

12. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    Just an update. Put the custom shop 60's in the fretless. LOVE IT!! Sounds really nice. I'll try n post some soundclips if anyone is interested?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021