Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

62 jazz re-issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AaronWarren, Feb 19, 2001.

1. AaronWarren

AaronWarren

Sep 7, 2000
    Sunny SoCal
    does anyone have any takes on the 62 jazz re-issue? i went and played one at guitar center and it sounded pretty sweet kind of nice cutting tone. just want to know if any of you have any opinions about them or have one and have any praise or complaints?

2. bottomman

bottomman

Jan 23, 2001
    I bought a '62 Reissue in 1990 from the guitar center in San Diego, Ca. It had Gold hardware and the bass served me till 1999, it was a great bass but I felt that I needed to get into the Twenty First Century and went for a Jazz Deluxe.( I've always been a Fender Player since the '70s) As I have said it was an excellent bass and I am sure that you will find the tone it provides more then excellent for the music you play.(it works great for Blues and rock and roll).

3. Ska,
    I had one and sold it around 4 years ago.
    Great bass to gig with.
    I sold it to aquire an original one.
    The main difference between the re-issue and my original is the neck, (original has a better profile).
    The other is the pickup tone, (original has a little more mid range).
    Ebay has most of the re-issues priced around $850/$900.
    I bought a re-finished '63 and put a GOOD paint job on it, therefore I could afford the '63. Untouched ones go for way too much.
    Count on around three times the price, (of the re-issue for an original that's been re-sprayed. IMHO

Good luck

4. I played one the other day, great tone, i love the stacked knobs, but the one i played was used, and the guy played with a knife or somethin, the thing was scratched to hell, but anyway, played nice, and looked awesome.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that used to be Freddy Krueger's bass, tallguy.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When I worked @ Sam Ash, I played one right out of the case & it played like <font color=yellow>BUTTER!!!</font> Every one I've ever played was just as good. But if you buy one, don't put the covers on ot. Very uncomfortable to play w/them on.

7. AaronWarren

AaronWarren

Sep 7, 2000
    Sunny SoCal
    have any of you guys heard of a foto flame 62 reissue??? i found one for sale for $650 and it sounds like an incredible bass. 3 years old. no pics though. just wanted to know if you have heard of these? if so any pictures??

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't like them. The top is a PICTURE of a flame & it's MIJ. I've seen MIA '62 RI's on eBay for about $900. Much better deal!!!

9. AaronWarren

AaronWarren

Sep 7, 2000
    Sunny SoCal
    i think this one is gorgeous. but i dont see the stacked knobs so im wondering the 62?

10. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Fender Japan manufactured "60's Reissues", one type being foto flame. I believe the 60's RI's were made more "in the style of" and not "to the specs of" 62 J-basses. I owned two of these 60's RI's, and while they were very nice sounding instruments with great necks, I was not pleased with the basswood body, and the quality of the hardware. I eventually returned them both. They sounded great and looked great, but I just didn't want the basswood, nor the hardware. Be careful when you pick up a bass that is marked as a "62 reissue" that it is not a 60's reissue. I believe all the 60's reissues have the 2 volume, 1 tone controls.

11. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    :eek: that finish is GREAT ska. looks kinda like mine :D

12. AaronWarren

AaronWarren

Sep 7, 2000
    Sunny SoCal
    i thought is was the japan model. i just wanted to know if the bass itself was good. i plan to replace all electronics with the ones they use in the new 62 reissues. do you think the bass would be alright after those adjustments?