'62 Precision Bass RI. good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GGG, Aug 3, 2004.

1. GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    Any of u mad bassist ve triedFender's 62 P bass American Vintage?

is it good? how much is it for a new one?

2. I haven't played the '62 yet, but I did play a '57 American vintage Precision a while back. The construction, fit and finish were first rate, and the sound was about as close as possible to a Pre-CBS P-bass. A friend of mine used to have a '65 P-bass, and this '57 sounded very close to the way I remember my friend's P-bass sounded.

The neck is a little wider than a regular P-bass, but I don't think it would bother you too much.

I would imagine the '62 is pretty much the same as the '57, but then again I'm just guessing.

If I were in the market for a nice P-bass, this would be it.

Good luck.

3. GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    when was it frist introduced? the American Vintage 62

4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I own two P's. Of the two, my '62 reissue is my favorite. It's strung with TI Flatwounds. Love it.
  5. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I had one and liked it alot. It had a warmer, richer tone than other P-basses I had or heard. It does has a glossy neck, and I prefer an oil finish as I think they play better. All in all, they are a top shelf bass.
  6. I'm no expert, but I believe they were introduced in 1982 and many believe the early models to be of superior quality to any other reissues.

I have a 1992 model and consider it my favourite bass. If you are looking for old-skool Fender thump, this bass is hard to beat. The pickup is very mellow and smooth, and combined with flats sounds very very similar to Motown bass parts.

I am not thrilled with the glossy neck, but the feel of the neck is to die for. Nice and wide (1.75" "C" size) and fairly slim front to back. Took some getting used to, but now I love it. Little details like tinted neck/headstock and the nitro-like finish are sweet.

Easily worth your while to play one. I really cannot imagine ever parting with mine.
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Ya, they were intoduced in 1982.
    I bought a black 62 RI in 1982.
    My fav, fretted recording bass.
    They sound better because they get older.