'62 reissue Fender Precision asking price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Fender & Serek addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    I've got a friend who owns a '62 American Fender Precision and hasn't been playing long. She's looking to sell it, coming to me for advice on what it's worth and I have no idea. It's the older black nitro finished model they no longer make.
    Anyone have an idea what she should ask for it? :confused:

Looks much like this one below.

Attached Files:

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Look on eBay, GuitarCenter.com used, and similar sites.

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Fender & Serek addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    I've searched around a bit on the above before trying here with no luck. It's kinda rough hunting for one in this finish especially. I also don't know what year these were produced or when they halted production for this finish either.

4. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I am selling a '62 Reissue Jazz bass in the classifieds right now. I would say they go from $1,000 to 1,250 area.

UNLESS they were the early 80's Fullerton versions which are prized versions that go for 1,700-2,100-ish.

They were all nitro laquer finished.

5. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    +1

6. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    I'm pretty sure that the black finish was available on the AVRI '62 Precision and Jazz basses until around 2010-2011. At that time Fender had limited the color options to sunburst, black and Olympic White. After that, it was just Sunburst and Olympic White.

Here is a site where the serial # (on the neck plate) can be entered that will show the year of manufacture: http://www.gui****aterproject.org/fender.aspx

If your friend doesn't sell the bass locally is willing to ship to Georgia, I'd be interested in buying it (to keep, not to resell). PM me with the price if that is the case. Thanks!

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That Black & tort Precision is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

Not in the market but still...

8. That website won't work.

"(Ver.1.1) Beta
    The Fender serial number decoder currently supports all documented MIA, MIJ and MIM formats with the exception of Custom Shop, Relic and Reissue instruments. Fender Squire guitars are also not supported at this time. Please note that fender serial numbers tend to overlap by at least a year, and thereby the date of your guitar can only be approximated."

As far as OP finding out the price, ask her when she bought it and if she bought it new. Or possibly check the neck for a date. Then take said information and search Ebay's completed listings to get a ballpark idea of how much they are asking to be sold for, and how much they are actually being sold for. Hope this helps, and what a gorgeous bass!

P.S. When searching for this bass on ebay, make sure the basses you are looking at have the same color combination.

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Also interested in this guitar. Is your friend due in L.A. any time soon? If so, I'll swap a Rick 4003 for her 62.

10. Now thats a deal, wish I had a 62 to swap:D

11. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The Fullerton era AVS instruments should have a serial number under V019000, generally speaking. The first year reissues are almost always a V00xxxx serial number.

12. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
  13. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    Deano Destructo likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021