62 reissue jazz? or 75 reissue jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnightmare, Oct 28, 2004.

1. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well some people may have seen my last post about MIJ/CIJ fenders, and my question now is which bass do you think i should get. like which one would i get more bang for my buck out of. the 62ri or 75ri. the only difference i see in the specs really is just the 75 has block inlays and the body is made of ash whereas the 62 is made of alder and has just dot inlays. i really like the way the 75 looks though with the block inlays. was wondering how much the sound changed between the alder and ash wood. has anyone tried these 2 basses? like from looking at the converstion rate its about 100-120 dollar difference in the basses. like is the sound of the bass worth the extra cash or is it all because of the block inlays?
  2. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey man.... The 62 reissue will have more of a darker sound..thanks to the alder body and rosewood fingerboard. the 75 has an ash body.. which will brighten up the sound..and if you get a maple fingerboard the attack and brightness will increase alot.. I own an american 75ri with maple fretboard.. It has a killer sound that will cut through any mix. the slap sound is aggresive and clean, and you dont have to take the neck off to adjust the trussrod like on the 62ri. Though i would go with the 62 with rosewood if i wanted a dark supportive sound. If you dont want to jump out and you just want to lay it down smooth go with the 62. I chose the 75, but either way you will not go wrong.
  3. The above comment is correct. I'd go for the '62. It has more sex appeal. I tried out a Markus Miller Jazz Bass it it blew me away on how bright it was, and that was with the active circuit off. The ash is heavier. I think those Valenti basses with the 70's accents are very cool though.

Do they make those '62 reissues in unlined fretless? If so, what is model number?
  4. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i wish i could buy both hahaha. looks lke maybe ill have to go with one and save up and buy the other at a later time haha. damn what a decision to make. oh yeah i saw a MIJ/CIJ fretless 62ri jazz but it has fret lines. the model number though is JB62-77FL
  5. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    oh yeah if you like i could e-mail ishibashi music about a fretless no lined fretboard jazz bass for you if you like. and thats if you dont mind a MIJ/CIJ one.
  6. the fretlines are an eye sore. They should make fret lines that are visible only from the player's eyes and while looking down. An unlined piece of ebony fingerboard on a 60-ish jazz bass is strikingly beautiful.
  7. geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    what about a J-Retro installed 75ri MIJ,that would be awesome
    good luck
  8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Dont you know how many threads have been closed due to those kind of comments that end up in huge disscusions?

Dont buy any RI get an original or a lakland joe osborn that is high tech retro sound. If not convinced go play those basses and dont let anyone tell you what he or she has read in this forums about woods and their tone, flea basses use carbon fiber necks and you can have loads of tones out of them (flea can get really mid-full souds out of it while the bass player of dave mathews band gets deeper tones)amplification, pick ups and playing style make the real difference between tones.
  9. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    lakland, im not willing to spend that much. and i really didn't ask opinions about other basses, so that doesnt help me at all. i want either a MIJ/CIJ fender jazz bass either the 62 or the 75 not any other one. so i was asking opinions of those 2 basses and what people thought. im not considering other jazz basses thats why my topic heading is specifically the 62 and the 75 because i really want a japanese made fender. the only reasons im considering those 2 are because there not made of basswood like the other jazz bass models made in japan. only those 2 have american pickups and are made of something other than basswood. so please if anyone has anymore opinions on those 2 basses could you please share it with me, and those 2 basses alone please don't try and tell me about other basses and brands and models.
  10. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Both basses are very good basses and the build quality should essentially the the same. What you're looking at in these two reissues are the "stereotypical" early '60s Fender Jazz and the stereotypical mid '70s Fender Jazz. If you like bands from the '60s and early '70s, then the '62 might be up your alley. The alder/rosewood combination is warm, round, punchy, and thick. It's great for blues, country, classic rock, R&B, soul, etc. When you think '62 Reissue, you could easily associate that tone with Motown/Stax, early Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, '60s pop music, etc.
    Likewise, if you're more into funk, a vintage/modern sound, and slapping, then the '75 might be better suited to your taste. The ash/maple combo will give the bass a slightly natural "scouped/smiley face" EQ response, and the maple board will add more of a bright, crispness to the tone as well. Marcus Miller and his tone are often associated with a '75 Reissue style of bass.
    Personally, I've owned a '62 Reissue for almost 15 years now and love it. I think it's an excellent bass. It might not be the BEST value on the market, but it certainly isn't overpriced. What you get for your dollar is very good, especially if you simply must have a USA Fender. Both basses are versatile, but it really boils down to your playing style and what type of music you'll be playing. Hope that helps, and good luck with your decision. ;)
  11. It sounds like you're planning to order a bass directly from Japan. Is that correct? I've purchased Ibanez replacement parts from Ishibashi in the past, and they're great to deal with. However, have you considered the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass? I understand your sights are set on either the '62 or '75, but the Geddy Lee is MIJ and has an alder body and maple board with block inlays. From a construction standpoint it's in between the two basses you're interested in. Plus, the GL is readily available in the USA, so you could try before you buy.

I played a Geddy Lee at a local shop yesterday and was impressed with the feel and tone. The body was resonant and the maple board added a nice snap and immediacy to the tone. Seemed like a great fingerstyle bass.
  12. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    coll thanks for the info. but since you say the Geddy Lee is made in japan then that means the quality control is good right? i was considering the MIJ fender because its cheaper than a MIA one and i hear they have good quality control and are very well crafted.
  13. The store I was at had three MIJ basses: the Geddy and two Mustang reissues. The quality of all three basses was good. Frets were level, fret ends were smooth, neck pockets were reasonably tight, etc. In my experience, Fender Japan build quality is fairly consistent from instrument to instrument. I've owned two early Fender Japan reissues and regret selling both. However, when it comes to mass produced instruments you kind of have to judge each one individually IMHO. Fender Japan QC seems high, but there must be variability in build quality. I'm sure they put out the occasional Friday afternoon dog.
  14. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    I too have considered ordering from Ishibashi and was throwing around these two basses as well. Things I've considered. The Geddy Lee Black fret markers are painted. This I don't like. I'd rather a simple dot instead of black paint all over my fret board and this may also be the case with the Ishibashi offerings. Does anyone know if the rosewood neck with pearl markers actually has a pearl insert or is it some kind of paint as well ? The fact that the neck has to come off the 60's era basses in order to adjust the truss is a bummer ! The 70's era bass has an exposed truss. However the 60's bass has the alder body and the warmer tone is my thing. SO, these are the main points that concern me and I have yet to get off the fence about a choice.The main thing is probably Alder body verse Truss rod access.For me anyway.
  15. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I love the sound of my 62 reissue. It's more of a rock sound versus the funk sound of a 75 perhaps
  16. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    you can e-mail ishibashi music and they can answer your question about the 75ri neck, if the inlays are painted on or not.
  17. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I wouldn't think they're painted. The Marcus 4 basses are Japanese too, and the block inlays aren't painted.

What's wrong with paint position markers, may I ask?
  18. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    where could i buy a neck like the one on the 75ri the one piece maple neck with peal block inlays if i wanted to replace the neck on my bass?
  19. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I wrote a "review" of my audition of both a '75 RI and an Aerodyne, but never posted it. I still have it though, so I thought maybe it would help you out (didn't play a '62 RI, though I own an older one...) Sorry it's so long!!!

Hey all, for the past week or so I've been lusting after a Fender Japan '75 Jazz Bass reissue. Also a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass. I saw them in a music store here in Kyoto that I go to occasionally. It's also the store where I bought my Fender Japan Jaguar Bottom Master (the Japanese version of the Baritone Custom, or is the Baritone Custom the American version of the Bottom Master???).

Anyway, today I finally went back and actually played both instruments, so I thought I would write about it. I played the Jazz reissue first. Fender Japan regularly markets a '75 reissue that comes in a few standard colors, has American-made pickups, and block inlays. The one that I saw is, I think, a somewhat custom instrument: red finish with matching headstock, and both ashtrays (the regular one doesn't have ashtrays). First thing I noticed is that, as I expected, it's an accurate reissue in that the neck and body are connected with three bolts. Doh! I'm not a fan of the three-neck bolt system. It felt fairly light - aren't mid-'70s Fenders notorious for being really heavy? Right away it felt really comfortable - nice slim Jazz neck, frets well dressed. And it sounded great - I think the guy cranked the treble on the amp (some big Ampeg combo), but I felt like I was hearing highs not unlike my Alembic Spoiler.

Then I switched to the Aerodyne - this one was black, with no pickguard. It definitely didn't quite have the same highs. But the neck felt good. For some reason, these days I'm into the idea of having the P-J pickup combination - I don't know, I've never been a huge fan of just the neck pickup on a Jazz, I've always tended to run both pickups full on. So the advantage to the Aerodyne is that you can get that thickness of the P pickup that still cuts through in the midrange department, but also the depth of both pickups on.

I switched back to the Jazz one more time - this time I noticed that in order to change the strings you have to take off the ashtray (I've never owned a Fender with ashtrays before), but I found that they didn't get in the way at all in terms of plucking or picking. But I've always played either between the neck pickup and the end of the fingerboard anyway. It also felt good to play with my fingers between both ashtrays.

Looks-wise, I like the '75 Jazz better. I've always wanted a Jazz with the (white) block inlays. And the matching headstock is cool too, though I was suprised how much you could see the shape of the logo label. If you look *really* carefully on my Jaguar you can barely see it, like it's under a finish coat, but it was really obvious on the Jazz. Also, the Jazz says "Made in Japan" right on the label, which the '60s reissues don't. It's small, but it's there - I'd prefer just having the "Crafted in Japan" at the base of the neck.

Price-wise, the Aerodyne is way cheaper. This Aerodyne was going for 51,000 yen, because of a chip on the headstock. That's about $500 USD. The Jazz was I think about 78,000 yen, or roughly $780 USD. (To be honest I don't even know what the yen-rate is these days! Usually about 110 yen/dollar.) Is the Jazz worth almost $300 more? I think there's a little more care put into the details. It has the US made pickukps, but I'm actually a fan of the Japanese pickups. My old Fender Japan Jazz has always drawn compliments with the stock pickups.

I felt bad telling the guy that I couldn't buy either one today. I think he was getting ready to make a sale. I knew what I wanted to play, plus I've bought stuff there before, so I didn't have a shred of guilt just playing them to play them. Last week when I was having a major GAS attack, I was coming up with all kinds of rationalizations why I needed to get one of them, but I got over that after a couple of days, so it was fun to just go in and play them.
  20. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    A Flea Bass ! psssst.