62 Reissue Jazz question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ksdaddy, Sep 7, 2002.

1. ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    I just picked up a 1982 '62 Jazz reissue. This may be the most ignorant question posted in a while, but here goes: The tuners work backwards. They work just exactly the opposite of normal. Turn them "up", the pitch goes down. YES, the strings are attached in the normal fashion. The tuners don't appear to have ever been changed. What's the deal?
  2. That's the way they worked in '62....Weird, I know....
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not at all a dumb question. Many people probably don't realize that Fender had it backwards back then...;)
  4. It's a reissue, so they try and make all the details correct, and that's exactly how they were until '65. I think they're kind of cool, and BTW, that's a very nice bass.
  5. Ever wonder WHY they were like that. Most screw threads are cut so that the screwhead must turn clockwise to drive it into wood or make it do it's work positively. That's how the original threads were cut. And when the tuner's shafts are put on the left of the gear, they turn clockwise to make the gear turn the post in the direction that winds the string onto the post. That means that the player must twist them "backwards" to make them work. The tuner shafts had to be on the left side of the gear to allow them all to line up nicely with the headstock and it seems an unnatural movement to turn them towards the string to tighten them. It was probably here that Fender decided to simply reverse the direction of the threads to keep the key shaft on the left side and make the post turn counterclockwise to wind the string on in a more natural movement.

The tuners on upright basses have right hand threads but they are oriented with the key in a different location in relation to the spur gear. If Fender duplicated this for their new bass guitar but put the key in the location it is now, the key would have to be turned towards the player. I imagine that since the tooling for the screws was in place that it was more expedient to have them turn backwards for the first years of production.

All of this is conjecture though. :)
  6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    They are called Vintage Reversed. I also have a '62 reissue ( frettless Jaco sig ) and it is a beatiful instrument. I hope you enjoy it!!!