Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'62 RI Jazz Fretless on the Way!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    :hyper: :hyper:

Got a Fender CIJ '62 RI Jazz Fretless on the way via the Orient Express!! Ordered it thru GuitarJapan.com. Great people to work with, answered all my questions very promptly. I was GASing for a JACO Jazz fretless (not the Tribute)....around $1399.

Although not exactly the same specs, the CIJ ran me (with shipping) $723!! Gotta love that. Full review once I get it......
    Guess I'll sell my MIM fretless now (hint hint)....

Attached Files:

2. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Can't wait for the review!

How's the fingerboard finished, plain or coated?

Is that model still avaible? I can't find it on the site, there's the natural one, and tow lowwer end ones, but not the sunburst.

~Paul :)

3. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    Be careful - I think your going to have to pay a steep customs charge on top of that...

4. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    As far as I know, the fretboard is plain rosewood like my Standard Jazz fretless. That is ok by me, I have had many fretless basses like that and had no problems. And if I do decide to get it coated, I'll still be ahead of the game compaired to what the MIA model costs!

The last I looked they only have a White and Black 62 RI fretless on their site. I had to email them to see if they had a sunburst, which they did. I also like that they use PayPal. A bit easier the doing the bank wire....

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Nah, most of those basses from Fender Japan coming into the US don't have Customs/Duty fees applied, not sure why.

6. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    Have the exact same CIJ 62'RI and I am very fond of it. I was a bit sceptic about the tone that i would get with the rosewood board, but it had an amazing amount of mwah! :) Have since purchasing the bass a month ago, coated the fingerboard with polyurethan, and now It sounds even better. Soon upgrading the bridge PU with a nordstrand PU as I think there is too much hum and a fairly weak sound from the original pickups. I bought mine used from ishibashi-music.com and glad I could get hold of the sunburst model as the new white and natural wood models don't look half as nice!

7. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Did you coat the fingerboard yourself or did you have someone do it?

8. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway

I got a local luthier to do it. An excellent job aswell! :)

9. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I GOT IT!!!

This has to be the best built, sounding and playing Fender I have ever put my hands on!! Once I get my power back (hit by hurricane Wilma), full review and pics!

BTY, the custom charges and duty charges........$0.00!!!

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Badass, my man. Congrats.

11. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    Congratulations! Glad you like your '62 Reissue! Can't really complain about mine either! :)

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very sexy bass you got there. I'd dig that in black too.