62 RI Jazz- Where is it made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I recently purchased a used 62 Reissue Jazz and would like to know how to find out where it was built. It doesn't show made in the USA, Japan or Mexico anywhere on it and the number on the neck plate is V117130.

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    i believe the fender vintage reissues are mostly, if not all, made in japan

that's not a negative.....they are good instruments
  3. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    That's not right. They're made in both the US and Japan. They've been making them in the USA since '82 or so. With that serial number I'd say MIA. Also, it should have 2 stack knob controls.
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, that looks like an MIA serial number. Also the Japanese ones usually say "Made in Japan" or "Crafted in Japan" on them.
  5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Yes, it has two stack knobs on it. This is the nicest playing bass that I've ever owned with equal volume on all of the strings. It's heavy at 10.5 pounds but with a Comfort Strapp, I don't notice the weight.
  6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    And now Mexico, too.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    As mentioned before, V serial number and stack knobs means US (Japanese and Mexican "reissue" Jazzes have always been 3-knob style).

I don't know why the reissues are so darn heavy....one reason I sold mine. I own two real vintage Precisions (a 53 and a 61) and both are featherweights.
  8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks everyone for enlightening me on how to tell where my bass was made.
  9. To call the J's made as RI's in Japan for the American market in the 80's and 90's true reissues is a misnomer. They aren't as true to the originals as any of the American versions. This was pointed out to me by noted Fender expert Bill Bolton when I got my first MIJ 62 RI - a '96 fretless. Of course there weren't any fretless's way back then but there are also several hardware differences that seperate it from a true reissue style, mainly the tuners. So, be careful of the comparison. For that reason, and using Bill Bolton's suggestion that the Japanese versions are more "in the style of" a 1962 Jazz, I coined the acronym "MIJITSO" - Made In Japan In The Style Of. So I've (we) actually have MIJITSO '62 Jazz basses :D