1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

62 vintage Fender P vs Seymour Duncan SPB-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aeroplot, May 11, 2010.

1. Aeroplot

Aeroplot

Feb 10, 2010
    Moscow
    Hello!
    Sorry for my language!)
    I have Fender American Vintage '62 Precision Bass!
    This is a GREAT instrument, but the last owner has changed original sound pickup on Seymour Duncan SPB-2 HOT P.
    Whether has sense to change it back???
    is original sounds better??? :help:
    I hope you have understood my question!? :)
    PEACE!

Mike_1978 likes this.
  2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The two pickups do sound different from each other, but only you can decide which sounds best. Some guys like the original because it's closer to the old 62 bass. Some guys prefer the hotter, more alive sounding SPB2. I used both and in fact, I played an original 62 P bass from the time I bought it new in 1962 and loved the sound. But I also like the hot SPB 2. It sounds much less polite. Works better live I think. Right now I have a 78 P and I put the SPB3, the Quarter Pounder, in that one. Love that sound best of all.

I think that since you are very happy with the sound you're getting now, why bother changing? Unless you come across a 62 pickup really cheap. Then you can try it out yourself and make up your mind.

3. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I have one as well. I used to have a p bass with a hot Seymour Duncan. I like the 62 P bass sound much better! It's a personal thing.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the duncan "hot" P pickup will be dark compared to the original.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That's right. It sounds much fatter overall, with a muted high end relative to a vintage pickup. I like the SPB-2 a lot, but found it too boomy on stage sometimes for my band at the time. In other bands/contexts, it would be great, and I think it sounds especially good with stainless rounds like Dean Markley Blue Steels. If you like it, no reason to change.

6. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    same here, love the SPB3 over the rest