Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

63rd Anniversary of The Doolittle Raid

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Apr 18, 2005.

1. 63 years ago today, Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle led a flight of 16 B-25 medium bombers on a surprise attack on Japan in an attempt to boost American morale and show the Japanese war-lords that their homeland was not immune to attack. The thing that always impressed me, was that the B-25 was never designed to take off from an aircraft carrier.

Read about it heere: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/wwii-pac/misc-42/dooltl.htm

and here: http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/dtr.htm

The above site has a link at the bottom to many of the campaigns of the Pacific theater for those who are interested.

Mike

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm a fan of military history. Most of the books I've read on WWII have involved the European theater though. I plan on reading some more pacific theater books soon. I started to read The Flags of our Fathers (which they're making a movie of, I think directed by Clint Eastwood) but it became overdue because I didn't have much reading time and I returned it. I've read 1 or 2 though...I read Bloody Ridge about the battle that saved Guadalcanal. I also read one about one of the raiders who was involved in the rescue of POWs from the Japanese camp. Both were pretty interesting.

brad cook

3. I agree, Brad, a lot of WWII history focuses a little too much on the ETO (European Theater of Operation) and not enough on the PTO (Pacific Theater of Operation) One of the least read about parts of the PTO is the CBI (China, Burma, India Theater of Operation)

A lot of very important, but little known battles occurred here.

Mike ;)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah, I read one book about how our intelligence people worked very effectively with the natives in Burma against the Japanese. Don't remember the name but it was a good read.

brad cook

5. I don't think many of us could comprehend what the Doolittle raids meant to everyone. Sort of like launching a bombing raid against Bin Laden, and knowing you nailed the right camp.
    Is that the one about the 11th Airborne guys and the camp in the Philippines?

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I think the lack of a real history perspective is one of the greatest faults of the American Educational system. The importance of the battle of Midway, the huge losses on Okinowa (20,000 in the battle, 7000 men lost in one week of mop-up!) the fire bombing of Tokoyo. Most high school graduates couldn't find these places on the map! I am a fan of mid-east history and just finished Michael Orens "Six days of War", it is incredible how little our media know about even recent Mid east history! Thanks for the Reminders Michael Jewels, keep it up.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's been a while since I read that one.
    I can't remember where the guys were from. They were some kind of special raider forces and the main guy that the book was about went on to fight in vietnam as well (I think they called him Pappy) and he was a part of the Son Tay raid. Philippines kind of sounds right though. Many of the POWs had been in the camp for years. They were captured on that island and then the americans were forced to retreat off the island. When we regained a foothold there years later they successfully pulled off the rescue with assistance from natives. Some of the POWs had to be carried back in wagons and wheelbarrows because of their health. That's about all I can remember.

brad cook

8. Yes, burk48237, the fire bombing of Tokyo, on the night of March 9-10, 1945 was equal in devastation to either of the atomic attacks. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0310-01.htm

More later.

Glad you like the thread.

Mike ;)

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    +1.

:cool:

10. Particularly WW-II. My father was a flight engineer in B-29s(the same model of bomber that dropped the atomic bombs on Nagasaki & Hiroshima). He just missed seeing any combat, but my late father-in-law flew P-47s, & did fly actual combat missions. I agree we need to be more aware of history in general, & this era has had a huge impact on the shape of the world today.

11. My girlfriend is like most people and completely ignorant of history. You hear people say they 'don't care what a bunch of dead guys did a long time ago' or whatever. It's fascinating thinking those 'dead guys' were just like you and I and rose up to the challenge of their rivals. History is so cyclical, partially because the same things always influence what happens. People forget what happened before them and what shaped the world we live in.

Most Americans wouldn't be able to tell you basic stuff that impacts America today.

What was the Spanish-American war fought about?

Who was the only president, before Clinton, to be impeached, and why?

What happened at Pearl Harbor? (it sound incredulous, but...)