'64 Fender Jazz Kicked My Ass Last Night......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lneal, Aug 14, 2003.

1. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    One of my friends was here from Dallas this week and we met up at a local open mic jam last night. He happened to bring his all original '64 Jazz. Alder body, brazilian rosewood board.

I've never been a slave to tradition and have always felt the more "modern" bass sounds were more "me". Still do really, and I won't be changing my feelings. But this grungy old '64 Jazz just f'd me up! It played like buttah, and that fat, greasy tone left skid marks on the stage. I played it for about 45 minutes and it never got in the way. And when you go up and play high notes you'd better mean it 'cause that thing will chew you up if you can't handle it! I LOVED it.

The point of this is: I now understand the reason why pre-CBS Fenders are the most desirable. There is a difference in quality and sound compared to the post-CBS axes. I have played many post-CBS Fenders but never really had the chance to play many pre-CBS'ers and thus never understood the mystique. I do now!
    Comments on your experiences and opinions??
    GAS GAS GAS!!! :D
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played phenomenal basses from both eras.

And some very average ones too;)

Glad you had fun with it.
  3. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yea I know what you mean, Brad. I have played some outstanding post-CBS'ers too and one of them was a '75 Jazz. That '79 P that I shoulda bought when I was 18 and stupid was a great one, too. That '64 last night was just one of those few very special ones, you know, the ones that seem to have something almost ethereal. It was just a wonderful experience. :cool:
  4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Havn't played any old ones... But I hear they are the sh*t.
  5. bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    i grew up with these basses, and like current fenders, especially mims the quality varied tremendously! you had to find one that had the magic.

i've got a mim fretless that time warps me back to 1969 every time i touch it, it seems indistinguishable from my fretless jazz i had back then which was well used by a few players before me, but i honestly don't remember the date.

i do recall having gone through a dozen or so to find "the one" :cool:

6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I did time on a 60's era Jazz. I too, cried that night!
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Mee too!
    Geeze Brad I'm agreeing with you all over this board today :D