Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

64' Jazz - Does Fret Size and Board Radius Matter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by m1911, Sep 10, 2005.

1. m1911

m1911

Dec 9, 2003
    I'm going to buy a Fender Custom Shop NOS 64' Jazz Bass.
    They come standard with "Vintage Frets" (Whatever that is?).
    I assume it's smaller than "Medium Jumbo" that you find on other Fender Basses including an "American Standard" I bought a couple years ago.
    Also the 64' has a 7 1/4" Finger Board Radius, vs 9 1/2" on the American.
    I've Special Ordered Time Machine Strats as "Custom One Offs" with these feature and wondered if these two changes would be a plus on the 64'....or is it not even noticable at all on a Bass Guitar. Almost entire usage will be straight-forward Blues-Rock. No Funk, Jazz, Slap, or anything else really.
    Thanks for your help!
    Mark

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    For blues I don't think there's a better bass. If you don't do alot of slides or pluck with a percussive tone you'll be perfect for the small frets and vintage radius.
    Frankly though, I'd go for a '62RI (American Vintage). Much cheaper and virtually the same great sound. The pickups are especially rich and thick sounding.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Why would it not be good for slides?

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    It's a personal thing. I have big hands so when I occasionally do slides for position changes, the lower frets are less forgiving. In other words you have to be more accurate. ;)

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Fair enough. I have the '62RI P bass and love the vintage frets. Don't have a problem with sliding. I do not have big hands.

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi,

i have a friend with one of these and i have played his and another.

as said above for blues, it will be fantastic. you don't really need big frets because you don't need the same articulation that you would for slap. although i like the old school slap sound with these basses.

personally i thought, playing on its own through a good amp that the customshop sounded clearly better than the american 62 reissue. i don't mean to sound wanky or something but there was just a richness and depth to the sound that the 62 didn't have. ABed against each other i would rather save longer to get the customshop every time

7. m1911

m1911

Dec 9, 2003
    Thanks guys..(so far)
    I definately will be getting the (Custom Shop) 64'...and I guess by reading here that Vintage Frets are a bit smaller than Medium Jumbo?
    Also, what about Board Radius on a 4 string for this application? I know it can be important on the Strats I have purchased....but that makes for better bending. Does it really matter on Bass?
    Thanks again,
    Mark

8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I think a 7.25 radius allows easier cross-string playing, which IMO is best for blues, R&B, rock etc. etc.

My $.02

9. m1911

m1911

Dec 9, 2003
    Well....I went ahead and ordered the 64'Jazz today with all standard features including the Vintage Frets and 7 1/4" Board Radius.....I figured why mess with a good thing.
    Although I did order a set of Lindy Fralin Jazz Bass Pick-Ups cause I stuck some in an American Standard Jazz a couple years ago and they sound great.
    Thanks for your comments and here it is:
    General
    Picture
    Specs
    Lindy Fralin Pick-ups

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi,

i think it will be interesting to see how the pickups compare.

i was amazed with the pickups fender put in the custom shop 64. they rock any other pickup i've tried in a fender.

please let us know how they compare.

cheers

11. Please let us know how it goes after a test drive, I'd love to hear the verdict.

12. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    I like the small frets--and thepickups are fantastic as well. They are really accurate reissues of a pre cbs fender. The usa and some japanese reissue fenders are nice, but the custom shop stuff sounds and feels much better. It is well worth the extra money.

13. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've found the same to be true, though my hands are pretty average. But the small frets also seem to make playing easier, IMO.