Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'64 Jazz sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hoel, Jul 15, 2004.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I'm listening to Robbie Williams - Something beautiful from the Escapology CD and I notice the great sounding bass.

It's defined, plus it has bottom and great punch. And it lays perfectly in the mix, without sounding hard.

I have a '64 Fender Jazz Bass, and an Eden WT-800 with two 210T cabs. I don't think my bass sounds so far from this but is it anything I can do to get a sound similar to this?

Is it compressed?

Advices is appreciated :)

Greetings from Norway,
    Hoel

2. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Hoel,

I find it very difficult to achieve an "Album/Recording Sound" with a LIVE setup.

Try making a few changes at a time, to track yourself into to setting. Listen to the details you mentioned and spend hours adjusting the EQ ;)

About your question for compression, I would say that it is. Not that much, but a little to get that punchy touch.

Just my humble thoughts :ninja:

3. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    That's true with the studio/live-sound. But put on Rolling Stones - Shine a light (live from the Stripped CD) same type of bass sound. Most likely a Sadowsky, isn't it?

I love that sound :)

4. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Any more suggestions? :ninja:

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Most likely it was recorder onto 2" Tape, and it's very hard to reproduce that sound, unless you have a nice Studer Machine.

Cheers

6. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Can you explain this? :eyebrow: