'64 Jazz sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hoel, Jul 15, 2004.

1. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I'm listening to Robbie Williams - Something beautiful from the Escapology CD and I notice the great sounding bass.

It's defined, plus it has bottom and great punch. And it lays perfectly in the mix, without sounding hard.

I have a '64 Fender Jazz Bass, and an Eden WT-800 with two 210T cabs. I don't think my bass sounds so far from this but is it anything I can do to get a sound similar to this?

Is it compressed?

Advices is appreciated :)

Greetings from Norway,
  2. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Hi Hoel,

I find it very difficult to achieve an "Album/Recording Sound" with a LIVE setup.

Try making a few changes at a time, to track yourself into to setting. Listen to the details you mentioned and spend hours adjusting the EQ ;)

About your question for compression, I would say that it is. Not that much, but a little to get that punchy touch.

Just my humble thoughts :ninja:
  3. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    That's true with the studio/live-sound. But put on Rolling Stones - Shine a light (live from the Stripped CD) same type of bass sound. Most likely a Sadowsky, isn't it?

I love that sound :)
  4. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Any more suggestions? :ninja:
  5. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Most likely it was recorder onto 2" Tape, and it's very hard to reproduce that sound, unless you have a nice Studer Machine.

6. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Can you explain this? :eyebrow: