Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

64th notes...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by arther daily, Feb 15, 2001.

1. This guy on another chat group posted these comments about his bassplaying:

"i have only been playing for a year, but i am damn good...i am playing right on time (a RHCP track, octave 16ths at 126bpm) up to speed...i can play several songs by primus...i can play some victor wooten...i want to play classical thump by victor wooten, but can't find a tab for it...if anyone can tab that, i would be most grateful"

...and...

"btw if 16th notes are hard then i can play really hard ****...i can play 32 notes easy, and on a good day i can pluck straight 64th notes"

Personally I think this guy is totally full of shed. But how possible is what he's saying? Are there people out there who can play like genius inside a year?

I genuinely don't think there are. I don't think humans have the ability to learn that quickly, at any age.

I guess he's a bit of weirdo, but I just wondered if anyone on TalkBass was this good inside a year?

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I can play 16th notes. I don't really play 32nd notes, and haven't had a need for 64th notes. I'm not even gonna touch 128th notes, probably just realistic for piano anyway.

I don't know any Victor Wooten, RHCP, or Primus songs.

If he relies on tabs to learn his songs, he's obviously not that good.

And by the way, I've been playing for many years, and consider myself okay.

3. I've been playing for two years and I suck, I mean bad. If you've ever seen a crappy bass player, just think "hey, Bassline1414 sucks worse than he does!". :)

PS: If you want to here how bad I am go to www.mp3.com/thebassline and hear how much I suck!

I have troubles with 16th notes, there's no freaking way I can play 64ths!:D

4. after a year, I'd just managed to get the hang of playing 8th notes at a fast tempo :oops:
    I can play the fast Metallica triplet stuff/RHCP's Parallel Universe (continuous 16ths) now though, after much practice.

Surely it would be impossible to even hear the difference between 32nd and 64th notes at a fast tempo anyway- let alone there being a valid use for playing that fast.

maybe this guy's a laboratory-created steroid-fuelled superbassist, who never sleeps, and just practises playing faster and faster all the time, pushed to the limits by a team of government agent bass teachers, a bit like Ivan Drago in Rocky 4.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Charlie Parker did "OK" using 1/8 notes(I'm sure most here have heard Jaco's reading of "Donna Lee"...that's primarily 1/8s). ;)

I have known some people who had "it" in the genetic code; I used to get depressed over such things, now, I merely tip my hat to 'em. When I first met Oteil Burbridge, he had been playing the bass for only 4-5 years; IMO, he coulda filled Jaco's slot when he "left" Weather Report.
    BTW, it ain't quantity of years, its QUALITY. Don't feel so bad Bassline1414; I've been at it for almost 30 years & I still *SUCK*!

How 'bout those players with chops-to-die-for, and yet, can't seem to keep a gig 'cause they aren't used to listening, reacting, conversing with other players(?).

6. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i can never get with people that talk about themselves like that. if youre that into yourself you need to step back and realize youre not the greatest thing ever. i find it hard to compliment myslef, if im doing something good, then someone else will notice. i just picture that guy up there playing his bass with the sort of "hey everybody, look at me" attitude.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Dude does not mention if he is in a band. I bet he isn't. He sounds like he is so involved in speed techniques that he has not taken the time to put such abilities into the context of songs. Another thing, he may be able to play fast, but can he keep time? See...that's another area which might jump up and bite him in the butt. He can supposedly play that fast, but could he keep time with a live drummer and the rest of the band? It is one thing to play along with CDs; it is quite another thing to join real musicians and be able to fit into their vibe. I betchya he CAN'T and never will because he is too self-centered and grandiose.

jason oldsted

8. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    I can play 1/512 notes/

At about 1 beat per minute.....
    It's all about bpm.

9. BasketCase

BasketCase

Jan 1, 2001
    Within a half-year of playing I could play Primus and Chili Pepper songs. I didn't even touch any of those other ones and I dont think I was as good as that guy is claiming. But, I think having a lot of practice time on my hands and six years on saxophone helped... A LOT! :)

10. Yes tis 'interesting' is it not?

I play 16ths every now and then, 32s I cant even imagine, I guess the odd little b-b-brrr would count, but it's not something I can do well enough tp play in public! Most of our bands tracks are around 90bpm, so that deosnt make me a 'machine'!

My own playing: Hmmm, I really like my own playing, I like what I think is my style (probably isnt). Obvioulsy when I listen I think it could be so much better, but I guess I'm pretty happy with how it sounds when recorded. - BUT I wouldnt say I was a great bassist. I have an infinite amount to learn and I KNOW there are so many amazing muscicians out there who can play anything I can with a thousand times more finesse.

I responeded and told the guy I thought he was full of **** and that if he felt the need to prove to send me an mp3 of his playing. I gave him the link to BSF (my band) so he could check out my stuff. A fair trade I suppose.

I guess it was kind of out of order, but I was 'in the zone' at the time. KNOW DAT!

11. Please dont take what I have to say in a negative way, but... RHCP stuff is elementary, Primus is not quite elementary and takes some experimentation in techniques to find ways to duplicate what Les is doing. Vic Wooten stuff is not difficult to play once you conquer his slapping techniques, which isnt hard to do at all. These are all examples of musicians who are really REALLY good at one particular style of music, and I like all 3 of them.

Some people are just naturally gifted and can play music with ease. However you cant judge the musician's level because he or she can play someone elses music! That doesnt really mean anything especially when the examples given are things that I believe ANY player could play with ease within a year of playing, IF! thats the kind of stuff they want to learn.

12. RHCP stuff is elementary... etc... I completely agree.

But I'm not sure I believe someone can learn technique like (Wooten, Claypool) that from scratch inside a year? I think you maybe underestimating how crap people are when they start playing?!

Mind you this guy that I originally posted about said he did spend about 5 or 6 hours a day playing... Quite heavy I'd say.

When I started playing I played a few hours a day for the 1st couple of years and after a year I was pretty good, but playing like full-on claypool and wooten is still out of my league. Mind you I dont really try to play that way!?

bassline1414: don't put yourself down mate, those songs on mp3.com are pretty cool!

13. "i find it hard to compliment myslef, if im doing something good, then someone else will notice."

Dont you ever listen to what you've played and get right into it?

Dammit I do! I'm never going to be the greatest, but I like what I play and I enjoy listening to it.

I find recording stuff and listening to it back helps me think, "yeah, actually I'm not such a schmuck afterall".

I hope this doeesnt sound arrogant, but i genuienly get enjoyment from writing, playing and listening to 'my' music, despite how confident I feel about it (or not?). I guess I'm lucky in that respect.

14. I dont understand whats so great about playing 64th or 32nd notes. I play 8th and quarter notes, and I am happy. Can someone even play 64th notes with a band?

15. What's the big deal? Most of the songs I know Have at least 64 notes.

16. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland

I am like that as well. Especially if others hear it and identify, it's pretty fulfilling.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Anything above a 16th note is the Guitar player's job. I'll play 32nd notes if the tempo is very slow.

Will C.:cool:

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Me too, except it's just 2 chords.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If a Zen student says he has found the way, he hasn't...

If a bass player says he is damn good, listen to him, watch him play, show him up, and walk away without saying a word...

20. I'll have to agree that he's probably faking it, unless he has some talent surpassing all others. I don't want to compare myself to him, but I've been playing for 3 years and I'm just starting to scratch on Victor Wooten's stuff. Also, 64th notes are extremely difficult to play unless he's playing at a real slow tempo. One more thing is that he depends on tab. Not to bash tab, but if he's going to brag, he better be able to read a chart or music. If he's to go into music, then he'd better know theory. Sorry to go off, but I don't like it when people brag.