1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'65 Fender Bassman or a new shotgun!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bdanster92, Feb 18, 2008.

1. bdanster92

bdanster92

Jan 14, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. A guy in my neighboring town is selling a '65 Fender Blackface Bassman in good working condition for $400. But in my county of Western Massachusetts, Spring Turkey season starts on the 28th of March. I need a new gun before that date to practice and whatnot. If I get one, I can't get the other. I know for a fact that the Bassman is a once in every 10 years kinda thing, just cause of it's condition and it's location. But I need a new gun for the up coming season as well. So if theres any turkey hunting bass players out there that can lend me a word of advice, it would be appreciated greatly!

Brandon

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Thats a tough one, being a hunter myself. Both the Blackface and the shotgun are good investments. Over the long run, they will both go up in value, that is, if you buy a quality shotgun. The Blackface is already going up at a good rate annually, so it will probably increase in vaule faster than the long gun. Tell your wife your investment counceller, (me), has told you you must buy both for the good of the family investments.

3. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    I ALWAYS choose bass, over killing animals

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Go for the Fender :D

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

get the shotgun .

i also think you should PM me with the seller's name and phone number ,
    so i can relieve you of the stress and worry ....
    :bag:
    :D

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Become a vegeterian and buy the head. Both you and the turkeys will live longer and happier.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There will be more birds next year. Get the Bassman!

8. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004

9. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    Do you already own an amp or a shotgun? Are you in a band? With a shotgun you can provide food, entertainment and protection. With the amp just entertainment maybe some cash.
    Ask the amp seller if you can make payments, give him $200. And use the other $200. For a used or cheaper shotgun.

10. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Ditto.

11. bdanster92

bdanster92

Jan 14, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The gun I'm looking to buy is a Remington 870, one of the most reliable pump action shotguns ever made. If I take care of the wood and clean it after every use, the value will hold or maybe even increase in the next couple of decades. Both are a good invesment and they are both in the same price ballpark.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    This is a no brainer, get the Bassman. Like you said, it's a once every 10 yrs kinda deal. The 870 is available all the time. And, which one would sound better? (you are on an amp forum)

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have '64 Bassman (2x12) that I use as my practice amp, and occasionally for recording. I love tone tone, but it is utterly incapable of playing at gig volume unless it's a very quiet gig or fully-saturated distortion is your goal.

Although new shotguns are always available, and a black-face Bassman has become something of a rarity, the shotgun is the more likely of the two to provide optimal performance year after year.

14. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    also being a hunter.... shotguns don't keep value like other guns. amps of the sort you might get do. get the amp if only for future profit.

15. Buy the Bassman and then play 'Shotgun' by Junior Walker & the All Stars!
    Actually, the price for the Blackface Bassman's are also being driven up by guitar players. They're in demand by a lot of players.

16. Warfrat73

Warfrat73

Nov 18, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Honestly I doubt that a Rem 870 is going to go up in value, they are ubiquitous, the market is practically flooded; there's one riding around in nearly every police car in the country, most of which will never be used and eventually come on to the used market. The Blackface Fender is scarce and already probably worth more than what you'd pay... and ThunderLizard is right about the Bassman's and the guitar players.

17. Warfrat73

Warfrat73

Nov 18, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Also, the only shotguns that are really going to go up in value is the high end over/unders and a few side by sides. That really shouldn't play into the decision.

18. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Then mic your cab:meh:

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I vote bassman.

20. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    Hmmm this is a tuffy...i say buy the bassman and then scrape up $100 or so and buy a H&R single shot...thats the only way i can think that you can have both