1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'65 Mosrite The Ventures Bass? Price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thedrummernerd, Aug 20, 2012.

1. thedrummernerd

thedrummernerd

Aug 19, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Musician: Matt Solem
    Hello everyone,
    I have a vintage '65 Mosrite The Ventures Bass that I'm currently restoring. It had massive water damage, broken truss rod, chipped & cracked finish, rusted non-spinning volume knob, bent tuners, and a cracking headstock. She was also growing mold from the water damage on the fretboard and body... Really sad to see such a cool instrument be treated so poorly. If giving a condition rating of 1-10 she'd probably be a 3.

So anyway, I'm wondering roughly how much a "Restored" '65 Mosrite The Ventures Bass will be worth?

She will have a new neck (original fretboard, frets, string nut), new electronics (Original replacement pickup), new paint job (Original color), a rebuilt bridge, and a set of new vintage style tuners. Absolutely everything else will be original.

She will be restored to a pristine, brand new looking, right out of the factory, Mosrite.
    I have seen a restored one go for $1300 and an original go for $6000.

Any idea how much she'll be worth? I really don't want to sell her but if the price is right I might just have to.

Will post pics as soon as she's done.
    Thanks

2. Very hard to say since the bass is going to have so many replacement parts. Probably a lot closer to the lower price than $6,000. You might want to join the forum over at mosriteforum.com to get a better idea. You can get leads on replacement parts there also.

Rick B.