Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'65 P-Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've queried about this before. I have a set of genuine, original '65 (pre-CBS) Fender Precision Bass pickups that I had replaced with DiMarzios before somebody ripped me off back in '80. The pickups have not been in a bass since then. Anybody have any idea what they might be worth to somebody? They're not necessarily for sale, so don't move this to the FS thread.

2. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, so I guess I shouldn't expect a big bidding war if I do put them up for sale, eh?

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    If you put 'em on ebay, expect to get $200 or so. Maybe more. I'll give you $50! :)

4. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I am far from an expert, but I would guess $250 to $350 if they are in good shape. The demand for this type of stuff is getting pretty high.

I saw an original 50's Gibson PAF Humbucker go for over $3000.00 on eBay recently. Now that IMHO is insane, but if you had an all original guitar except for the pickup, it would boost the value by double that.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, now you guys are speaking my lingo. I'm going to have to mull this over.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Here's some fresh pics, taken twenty minutes ago. Note the date of 2-24-65 on one and the initials "AS" on the other. That's the original cloth-covered wire on them.

[​IMG]

7. Well, the poles are a little dicolored/rusted, but I bet that can be cleaned up easily. My thoughts are that the guess of $200-250 is probably right.

Rock on
    Eric

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Actually, they're not rusty. That's some old varnish-like coating. I'm sure I can get that off with a little #0000 steel wool and some elbow grease.

9. If they're that good, why didja replace them with DM's? Just curious, because I think a lot of the hype surrounding vintage pups is unwarranted. Personally, I would have preferred the DM's also.

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I bought the '65 P-bass and a '65 Bassman 50 amp with 212 cab all for $350 in 1977. They were all in perfect condition. I thought the sound of that rig fairly sucked, so I dropped in the DiMarzios, which made it sound better but still not stellar. Turns out, I'm just not a vintage kinda guy. Even if I still had it, I'd never play it. I'd just tantalize vintage lovers with it.

I like clean, modern, hi-fi sound. Lakland/Eden gives me that. Anyway, some poor hoser is out there trying to unload a valuable vintage bass with DiMarzios in it. Even though the pickups might only be worth $200 or so, I'll bet their absence drops the price of the bass at least $1K. Serves you right, you tird, wherever you are.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Like you I'm not into vintage sounds. I bet they are worth a bit of money to the right person - just finding the right person could be tough. Can't you try the fender website ans see what their opinion on value of that pickup would be??

Might be worth a shot - you could maybe even sell it back to them for a wad of money so that they can realease a new/vintage one off custom!!;)

12. oh no! DONT EVER USE STEEL WOOL! it will contaminate the magnets, and will be a real bitch to make right. i thought i saw some fragments on the poles, i hope not. as for the varnish........leave it alone.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    ROFL! I was wondering and wondering how long it was going to take for one of you guys to catch that. Groovking, you win a year's supply of #0000 steel wool (that's none).

On the back, I'd guess that the discoloration is soldering flux from the original construction. I used a little Deoxit on a Q-tip to clean the poles. They're fine.

14. thanks mung........id remove the fragments the same way id protect the pickups from fragmentation if i was to use steel wool anywhere in the area of the bass, with masking tape,........remove covers if necessary