1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

65 P-Bass value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hyde, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Seeing a thread recently on refinished 1965 P-Bass in Mike Lull's shop for $5000 got me thinking about this. I have a 1965 Precision that my dad bought used in 1970. At that point, the tuners had already been replaced (with other Fenders, I really don't know why), and it had apparently been refinished (judging by the fact that it's a blond bass with a blatant seam running through the body). Since then, it's been played at home by him and then me with great care. There's some wear on the back of the neck and the occasional scratch and ding, but overall it's in great shape. Not mint, it's clearly been used, but not abused. Oh, and I have the OHSC too. I had it appraised two or three years ago for insurance purposes and was told it's worth about $1700. I'm starting to think that might be low. . .am I right?

2. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    _1419485_fed5300.jpg

3. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2004
    New Jersey
    \
    Yes, that appraisal is a little on the low side. A reasonably clean 1965 Precision in sunburst would be in the low five grand range. A refin '65 P will be about half of that. Knock of a couple of hundred for the replaced tuners and you'll be close. As for the $5,000 refin in Mike's shop, Mike can ask whatever he wants for that bass, but asking and receiving are two different things entirely. A conservative estimate on your bass, if it is in good working condition, is $2,400 or so.

Ben

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021