Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"65" P on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kazuhank, May 5, 2004.

1. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
  2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There is no evidence that it is a fake. At first glance the finish looks iffy. However, it clearly states that it is a refin. That price will jump quite a bit before the end of the auction I should think.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pics can be deceiving but that board looks NOTHING like any sixties Fender I've ever seen or owned. Way too light. But who knows? :meh:

4. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    A friend of mine has a '65 Precision, and the board is even lighter then that one. You never know I guess.

5. Hmmm... the nail holes are present and visible in the back picture. A lot of detail about the customization and repair in the description.

I'm no Ebayer at all but "0" feeback would scare the pants off of me.

Who am I kidding? The Olsen Twins could scare the pants off of me.

Wait, I take that back.

No. No I don't. They can scare the pants off of me.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have two '64 pre-CBS P basses and the Brazilian Rosewood boards are almost black, they're so dark. Of course, my basses have been played a lot and for a lotta years. Without exception, every other legit 60's Fender bass I've run across have been equally dark.

7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Wait!.. The neckplate is wrong... Didn't 60's fenders have a 3 screw triangular neck plates???? Anyway the plate does not even say fender on it, and there are some other things that just don't sit right with my spidy senses...

Alex

ps. anyway, its been mangled... String ferrule, new pot, REFINISHED... Ebven if it was real (which it is not) it would be reduced in value BIG TIME!... But wait, its not real anyway... so why do we care?.

8. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I hear ya Boogie. I have had a pre CBS '64 Jazz bass, and the board was DARK brown. I have played several precisions, and all of been really dark. However, the bass my friend has(which has been confirmed original with only one owner) has a really light board. It is more of a Pao Ferro look. So who knows. I would say get more info on that bass...pot #'s, pickup dates etc. if you are interested in it.

9. string ferrule added for stringing just the E string through the body?
    strange why someone would do that on a vintage bass.

that sunburst is very "blocky"- worse than 70's Fenders.

speaking of which that pickguard is off a 70's or late 60's P- note the thumbrest screws above the E string and the extra screw near the G string.

10. no- the P bass always had a 4bolt plate-

the Jazz and Tele basses had 3bolt plates in the 70's.

11. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't like that refin too much. Too much "black" IMO. Since it is a refin though, I don't have much problem with the E through the body. In fact it probably sounds good. The bass is already changed. You could always block it and refin and it would make zero difference to the value.

12. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I just asked him for pics of the headstock and serial numbers...

Alex

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont think i would buy such an questionable instrument off ebay, i would want to have it checked out by a pro.

14. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    The string furrule is odd since the bridge is the original--I see no hole to string through. I thought this thing looked strange, thanks for the discussion.

15. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I zoomed the back pic, and the S/N says L73416. This dates this bass in 1965, as stated in the auction.

But the bad refin drops its value down, IMO.

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I wouldn't care for it much anyway --- it's a CBS.

17. But it's an "L" number CBS!

And here's the issue... made by CBS, with pre-CBS parts and before the Brazillian wood ban.

Although the CBS takeover was in what, January of 65, they used L number plates through the fall, "generally" even if it was made after January 13th or whatever, it's still considered a pre-CBS instrument because of the neck plate.

Weren't most of the alleged QC "errors" of the CBS takeover done immediately after the takeover?

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

19. Here's my theory. A good bass is going to get played. It's going to go out on every gig with you. It's invariably going to get knocked around, but it's yours. After it gets knocked around a bit, things start to go, a pot here, a tuner there, a bright idea for a really cool mod now and then. There's going to be wear on a player, in fact, so much wear you may want to have your favorite player refinished to keep it looking decent.

A dog is going to sit at home. It's not going to get played, it's not going to get rivet rash, it's not going to sit in your trunk in the middle of winter while you drive to a gig in the middle of nowhere. It's not going to have a gash in the headstock from doing a Keith Bramer spin into your drummer's cymbals.

In short, generally, a good bass is going to look like a player, this one looks like a player. Regardless of CBS stigma.

20. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I dig you Golden... I will always prefer a sweet player over a bass with perfect aesthetics. I always wonder why a pristine vintage ax or any kind has lived its life "unplayed."

My concern here is that for a vintage ignorant guy like myself, this listing seemed like it might be a legit player dressed up to represent a 60s era instrument. Someone may end up paying "transition CBS" price for a bass that is simply an old player. There are plenty of players out there, yet even more dogs, and many dogs mis-represented as worth more than than they truely merit.