1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'65 Precision without saddle cover?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamcoPasamerson, Apr 16, 2010.

1. JamcoPasamerson

JamcoPasamerson

Apr 16, 2010
    Does anyone here know if there were any Precisions from 1965 made without the bridge cover holes drilled? I am asking because I just bought a Bass that was listed as a '65 based on the serial number on the neck plate (105865). The SIN checks out, but there are no holes drilled for the bridge cover. I can't find any pictures anywhere of a '65 that does not have this feature. Here is a link to the auction with pictures of the bass:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110515299186&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT.

The headstock decal looks right but it's missing the strap holder in the back. The machine heads look like '70s style but could just be replacements. The bridge looks like some kind of BADASS knockoff but may just be somebodies idea of an upgrade. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for your time.

2. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i know the vintage RIs come with the chrome covers separate from the bass when purchased brand new, and it's up to the owners to install. I wonder if it worked the same way back then?

3. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Get your money back. That is a fake. The neck heel would not have that fretboard overhang, decal looks fishy, and it would have screw holes for the bridge cover.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sorry, but that is SO FAR from being a 65 it is ridiculous. The neck isn't a 65, the body isn't a 65, the tuners aren't from a 65, the pickup isn't a 65, the bridge isn't a 65, the pickguard isn't a 65, the neckplate/serial aren't 65, etc, etc...I can go on. If you want to know how I know that the parts aren't "real", I can list it out for you....but yeah, it's a TOTAL FRAUD.

5. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Anyone who is thinking about buying an older Fender bass, I strongly recommend the book "The Fender Bass An Illustrated History" by Black & Molinaro. It is pretty comprehensive as far as the chronological changes Fender made to Precisions and Jazzes through the years. If you don't know what to look for it's easy to get screwed and there are plenty of people out there willing to take advantage of you.

6. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    True...very good book.

Also, just for a "quick reference" you can use THIS WEBSITE. It isn't as comprehensive as the book mentioned, but is a nice basic overview.

7. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    It appears to be a completely mongrelized parts bass. Don't worry, parted out it's probably worth more than $350 - especially the neckplate, which looks to be the only part actually from '65.
    Lately I've seen a lot of Craigslist and eBay basses advertised as being from the '60's that are obviously not - well, to me at least. It is very much a "buyer beware" situation.

8. JamcoPasamerson

JamcoPasamerson

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks for the quick response. Ya, that's pretty much what I thought, accept the neck plate serial number actually does check out, I did the research. I knew none of the parts were original though. I was more wondering about the body and neck. Oh well can't win them all. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. :-(

9. JamcoPasamerson

JamcoPasamerson

Apr 16, 2010
    Ya that's one of the references I used to confirm the serial number. Thanks again.

10. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Have you received it yet? It's possible to get a full refund if you can convince eBay that it's a fraud. You could part it out but that's kind of a pain. At lest they didn't get you for a couple of thousand. I would open a case with eBay.

11. JamcoPasamerson

JamcoPasamerson

Apr 16, 2010
    No I haven't received it yet. I will contact the seller first as he has 100% approval rating. He even said in the description that he was no expert and judging from the fact that he sells mostly BMX parts I could believe that he didn't know. Sure I could get my money back but then I would also have to ship it back and I don't know if that would be covered (even though I think it should be). So maybe parting it out is the best plan. Who knows? Maybe I will get lucky and it will at least play nice but I guess that's a bit optimistic.

12. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    If you decide to keep it to play it, at least swap out the neck plate for a generic one. You might be able to get almost half your money back just for that alone.

13. Yeah if the neck plate is legit that would be sweet because i would slel that and keep the rest of the parts which look to be decent.

14. rubato

rubato

Feb 16, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I think you'll find that neckplate is one of these gems from allparts and you won't be getting big bucks for it.
    http://www.allparts.com/Serial-Numbered-Neckplate-p/ap-0601-010.htm

As for the bridge cover, back then they were included in the case to be installed (or not) by the dealer. So... A real 65 - Which no part of this bass is - could indeed not have holes drilled.

15. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Good heavens man, I doubt there's a single real Fender part on that bass.
    That seller had some stones calling it a 65. Wow.

16. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The serial numbered neck plate is easy to fake....but it wasn't even "faked well" on this bass.

Wrong font. (note the width of the numbers, and the difference in the "1", "5", etc)

Wrong depth on the numbers. (The faked one is WAY too shallow. The only time you see numbers that shallow is on heavily worn neck plates, and the depth would be "uneven".

Not an "L" series OR a "F" plate - (65 was a transition year in neck plates - it would either be a "L" series, or with the number shown in the bass you bought, it would have a "F" neck plate.)

Here is the fake neck plate from the bass in the OP compared to two real 1965 Fender neck plates - it should be easy to see the difference.

NECKPLATES.

17. ^ Huge difference i learn so much from this site.

18. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm curious to know where you got the info about covers not installed. I practically lived in several music stores in the mid and late-sixties and never once saw a new Fender bass without covers installed. I suppose it could be true, but where could I verify that info?

19. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Yeah, upon closer inspection, I totally agree. I should have spotted it right away.

20. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    The real question is did you really think you were getting a real 65 for $350 ????