Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$650 for an amp new/used...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Nov 4, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    New or used is fine with me.

My personal preferences would be for the EQ section to be cut and boost and for the DI to be on the front face of the amp. Another preference would be for it to be rack mountable although that is not mandatory. These are not mandatory just my preferences.

I dont like hi fi trebley sounds . I am more into the natural/warm tones with plenty of low end and low mids. I play fingerstyle 95% of the time.

What recommendations do you guys have?

Around $650.

2. A brand new Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II. 380 watts @ 8 ohms, 480 @ 4 ohms. GC sells them for $599. ( I think )

3. head only, combo or head + cab?

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I already have a cab (Ampeg SVT-410HLF) just need either a head or combo would work too.

Do GK's get a hi fi sound? Would they fit my tonal requirements?

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Walkabout or Thunderfunk. If you can swing an iAMP in that price range, I'd get it.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes and yes. Gotta play with the EQ but they're very versatile. Go give one a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

7. You wont regret trying the 700RB.

8. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    or www.riksmusic.com sell them for about $500

9. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Mascisman, other than the DI being on the rear it sounds exactly like you're looking for a used Ampeg SVT-II. All tube, rackmountable (although you don't have torackmount it). A little on the heavy side if you're up to it. You can pick them up on Ebay for around that price. I have 3 of them, and love them. I also have 2 early 70's SVTs but normally I'll gig out with one of the SVT-II's because of the line out and the very nice EQ. The II (non-pro version) is essentially a 70's SVT packaged in a rackmount version, with addition of better EQ and line out. It will work just super with your 410.

10. You have a pretty meaty cab so I would get the most powerful head with the most warm sound.But is your cab 8ohms or 4 ohms? This will tell you how much power the amp will make at 4ohms.

I have bashed GKs and Hartke for their lack of warmth and some dude is now mad at me in another thread so I am not going there anymore.

You really should plan on going around to all the local stores with your bass(and possibly some decent headphones).
    I think the headphones, assuming they have headphone jacks will tell you everything you need to know about the tone.

Plug into the GK RB 700.

Then try the myriad ofAmpeg heads.

I would sample a Eden Wt 400 or WT 550 (These will be over budget, but just for comaprison sake).

I would check out SWR professional series. They have names like Bass 500 x or 750 X.

Tonally, Ashdowns are warm but the Mag series heads may not be loud enough (300 wats at 4 ohms) and the ABMs are too expensive.

I am convinced that you should be able to plug into an amp and get a good tone without EQ-ing.

I hear people rave about the Thunderfunk but I have no clue how they sound.

After you find the sound then time to price shop, and that's an art in itself.

11. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    the 410hlf is 4 ohms, and the SVT-II is switchable- 4 or 2 ohms. In case you wanted to add another cab later.

12. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    My GK rig is for sale. It's one year old.
    700RB head
    210RBH
    115RBH

I'll sell one or all, $350.00 each. Located in Beaumont, Texas.

Joey

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    GK 1001RB-II $630 @ Riksmusic.com. Best choice I ever made.

14. what about the Ashdown ABM 300 EVO 11 warm and deep and had DI on front. Get the ABM500 if you can stretch to it,

Would sound nice into the SVT410HLF 4 ohm cab, nice and deep, i play mine with Ampeg cabs finger style rock and its as good as my SVTCL head.

15. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    you could get a brand new gallien krueger 1001rb-II head off riksmusic for $600 flat with no tax or shipping.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get the SVT-II its heavy but its a nice tube amp and I think it will be a nice compliment to your new bass for a rock setting.

17. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Yeah I would probably prefer used because I can get more bang for the buck.

I plan on moving from my pre/power setup to a head again just for simplicity sake.

Ive never heard any Ashdown gear so that might be right up my alley..I like the idea of the SVT-II but its way too heavy for me. I kind of want to keep it fairly light.

I think the Thunderfunk or Walkabout might be the ticket as well.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Since you say no to the SVT-II Ill change my vote to the Ashdown.

Ive never tried Thunderfunk so I cant give input on that.

The Walkabout might not be enough power. It does sound really nice and fat though.

19. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ashdown ABM 300. Are the 325 watts an accurate rating. I know Mesa's ratings are conservative and Ampegs are usually inflated. How are Ashdown's? Is the ABM 300 a loud true 325 watt amp?

I have heard nothing but great reviews for the Thunderfunk so they may be hard to find used.