$6500??? - Ibanez SR2021 Prestige Limited Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark W, Jan 30, 2021.

1. No

477 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Yes

79 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Yes, but only if it comes with a lifetime supply of carrots.

57 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. The Hook 1988

The Hook 1988

Oct 7, 2019
    Ridiculous. There's enough overpriced basses as is... I like Ibanez,I've got 2 BTB's and a Portamento fretless. This thing is interesting, but $6000? ;for a bolt-on SR..never. Then again, people pay for"vintage" or something like a Fender P-bass for a couple of grand...just why? Targets those who want bragging rights and don't know any better.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'm not a fan of the top finish, and i haven't tried those barts and EQ. i do like ibanez, love barts, and i love the models with nordies in 'em, so who knows...

3. pimpbot

pimpbot

Feb 29, 2016
    Reminds me of the Volkswagen Phaeton... $95,000 car new. $95k... but it's a freakin VW.

Amazing car, although a maintenance nightmare if you got the W12 engine. Luckily, they depreciated as much as they should have, and go for like $8k used. I'd be pissed if I got one new. :D

ajkula66 and Nuage420 like this.
  4. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Howw about this for 200 USD?
    No seriously, I'd get an alembic for that bread.
    [​IMG]

5. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Agreed!

Rodney Fritz likes this.
  6. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    This is simple entry-level marketing, and their plan worked perfectly.

Nice bass, Ibanez!!

7. I don't have time nor desire to read all of this...but...I notice that the first ad from a store has the same picture as the second and the company ad...

Could it be they are "floating an idea", "running it up the flagpole and seeing if anyone salutes" or "goin' fishing?"

See if they get orders...that is a big ticket, for sure!

8. KerrywAZ1

KerrywAZ1

Nov 13, 2019
    Must be made of gold....

9. togril

togril

Jun 29, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    Since forever probably,
    We have become very used to products costing far less than their worth - despite machinery enabling mass production becoming far more clevererer.
    This is what happens when people are paid a wage befitting their skill level. Instead of $3 a week for 50 hour weeks, work till you are too old then survive on no government pensions. The latter is a truth - even though for guitars and instruments it's a little better because Asia is not China. Not by a long shot. And Japan is not "Asia".
    Respect for those who have learned their craft from a life of immersion in the quest for more knowledge is not so popular nowadays.
    Would i buy this instrument? Well I really play double bass - and we pay a LOT for a hollow box of wood with a branch sticking out the top (even some of the EXCELLENT Chinese outfits - all hand made) - so I am not the right person. But if I needed it, liked it and above all 6K$ was not much to me (and there have been times in my life when it was this) I would simply buy it.
    Nowady's 6K is a lot more than it used to be. But then I teach now! lol.

If you got this far - then thanks! You're a STAR.
    If not - you still are.
    T.Xx

10. Jimmigrant

Jimmigrant

Feb 16, 2020

11. Jimmigrant

Jimmigrant

Feb 16, 2020
    That’s $1300.00 a string .........
    And it’ll always be an Ibanez .....

12. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    NOPE!!! If I'm going to spend anywhere near that much money-and I'm not-I'm getting a Ken Smith (used).

13. therumour

therumour

Jan 5, 2014
    I'm not familiar with Sugi... but:

14. Rockbassman-yo

Rockbassman-yo

Jan 14, 2021
    Maybe they misplaced the decimal point.

15. mark harison

mark harison

Jul 29, 2017
    Well guitarist's have no problem 5000.00 for a Rickenbacker or a high end Fender or Gibson. First 6,500 is a retail price. No body will pay that price. It's about build quality and materials right? If the build quality and materials warrant the price then I see no problem. Now my view is bias. I own a lot of basses like most of us but I bought an SR1900 that had been hidden in the back of Guitar Centers bass room, and I have to say it is the best playing bass I own. The build quality and workmanship is incredible. You can't go wrong with any SR series basses.

16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I voted no ...but then I remembered when the Ibanez TCB1006 Thundercat Signature bass was almost a real thing, and I probably would've shelled out 6Gs for one of those.

But that SR thing? Nah.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  17. mark harison

mark harison

Jul 29, 2017
    okay so my SR1900 is almost the same minus the fancy finish and it's not a 5 string. A 4 string would be slightly cheaper but it's a work of art on top of it being a playable instrument. It's coming from their pro shop not the regular production models.

18. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Actually... those Ibanez folks in Japan has fulfilled this wish of yours:
    p_region_SRMS5_WK_00_01.png
    SRMS5 | SR | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars - アイバニーズ

The SRMS5 Prestige is a multi-scale bass, obviously the Prestige title means Japan made, and it cost ¥297,000 (slightly under 3 grand USD). The catch is you need to get it in Japan or individually import one from there it as it is currently available as Japan domestic market product only.

19. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    16.5. Spacing. I need this in 18mm! Ugh! Please IBANEZ!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  20. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    If I ever have 6 grand to spend on a bass, it will be a Dingwall.

And I need Dingwall to use 16mm spacing. Maybe we can convince them to trade?

Nuage420 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021