1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'66 B-15N for live applications?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2OHMLOAD, May 12, 2011.

1. 2OHMLOAD

2OHMLOAD

Aug 22, 2006
    NJ/NY
    Does anybody run these amps live? Mic? DI? How about an extension cab too? I own a San Amp DI but don't want to "soil" my pure B-15N tone. What mic are you guys using?

I love the tone I get from this amp and want to use it live with a classic rock band.

Any thoughts?

2. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Not since 1969, but it would actually work in one of my bands these days with mic on cab.

3. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    Sound man put a 57 on mine and it sounded great!!!!!! But use a direct line too, the sans runnin clean.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Not that I own one, but an RE20 is really darned good. Sennheiser 421 is very good as well. Wish I owned the B15 to mic... The Senn 421 is near to my go to mic these days...

5. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I use a '63 with a classic rock & oldies group (Petty, Stones, CCR, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, etc...) and typically run mine alongside a B-100R. These days, the B-100R is really there just to give me a little extra volume and umpfff so I can keep the B15 running at a lower volume. That way it stays good and clean, and doesn't start to overdrive. A lot of soundmen for the longest time tried to talk me into using a DI before the amps, but I've now convinced them to use a mic. Otherwise I figure whats the point in having a vintage B15 onstage? I'm not real savy about bass mics, but most of the time soundmen give me a 57 and I think it sounds pretty good. Last week the soundman started me on a 57, but then switched to an EV-PL5. Not sure how it sounded out front- but from where I was at onstage, I actually liked the 57 a little better.

2011-05-08_15-56-48_316.

6. 2OHMLOAD

2OHMLOAD

Aug 22, 2006
    NJ/NY
    Nice looking set up! I love my growly '76 P Bass through this amp. So you hook the amps together? Interesting.

7. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I use the tuner pedal to split the signal so they are both seperate from one another.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i have a 64 b-15n with an extension cab, and i mic one cab with a heil pr40, no di. superb. i've done up to an 800 seat theater with stage volume only but usually i go through the pa. some folks can't use them onstage, but for some reason i never have a problem. i think it's because i just go for a good mix with everyone onstage, and other than our drummer, we let the pa do the heavy lifting. wouldn't use one with metallica, but it works great with my oldies, classic rock, and light music gigs.

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I mic mine with a Heil PR40 as well. I get a pretty good stage balance with the single B15 but I think if things were getting much louder I'd probably want an extension cab or at least put the cab up on something so it's closer to ear level. The last gig I used it got pretty raucous playing with two guitarists - one using a 63 AC30 and one using an orange AD30TC - on a tight stage. I was pretty much backed up on top of my amp so I could feel the bass better than I could hear it, but the sound in the house (lent my rig as the backline) was great.

10. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I use mine whenever I can. I finally just sprang for a road case - the old vinyl one is held together by gaff tape and good intentions, and I feel much safer about carting it around, especially in cramped vehicles for out of town dates.

anyway, I'll always take a mic if there's one available, but I'm pretty happy with a DI. I use a JDI, and it sounds great with it connected to the Line Out or in line with speaker. It's more important to me to mic it if it's a larger venue - in smaller rooms folks are getting a decent dose of stage volume anyway.

Just about any mic can be made to work if you pick the right spot. 421, Audix D4, RE20, Beyer M88, etc... will make it easier. Placement is usually just off the edge, straight ahead (not angled).

I used to use a single 15" Moog cabinet with it, but that was with a different band and it was never enough with those guys. It sounds killer with a BFM Tuba24 underneath it, but that's not a real common box.

11. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    shure sm7 (not to be confused with an sm57, also fine) is a mighty fine bass cab mic too

I use a JDI, and it sounds great with it connected to the Line Out
    i bet that sounds Fantastic

12. I don't have one, but if I did I'd be mic'ing if at all possible.

As Ben brings up, a DI that can go in line with the speaker is an interesting option if you can't use a mic. Countryman can do this. Is there a way to defeat the speaker emulation on the JDI?

If all else fails use a typical DI before the amp setup.

You can run into phase cancellation issues with mic + DI setups. Not that it can't work, just watch out.

13. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    What I found using the JDI and the B15 is that the speaker switch need not be engaged. I simply used the 15dB pad and it provides a level just slightly less than a 421 up close. The extra 30dB pad of the speaker switch led the engineer to think I was no getting a signal at all the first time I brought it out.

Even a lot of cheap DIs can safely use speaker level signals. Look for a 40dB pad and you should be safe. (Not all DIs have a -22dB drop in level like the JDI)

14. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've done it a bunch of times, and a bunch of ways. Done the DI thing, also done the mic thing. Sound man put a 57 on it. Also done no pa support, but using an extension cab.

My experience says that it's all about the room, and your band (drummer). My band and durmmer are pretty loud, and with the extension cab and no pa, I can get by, but when the drummer starts to push, and I have to push... well, there's not a ton of headroom, and you start to loose that bottom.

On the gig where I did the DI, the amp was absolutely swallowed by the room. Plugged in, turned it on, and I could barley hear myself on stage - without the rest of the band playing!! Went DI, and had to crank myself in the monitors. Not the best experience.

On the gig where the SM57 go used, no problem. The portaflex just filled up the room and sounded sweet. Amp had a mic on it, but I didn't even have to request any bass in the monitors.

I think it really depends on the room, and how loud your band is!